Replanting help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashing

Reaction score
My current location was never very good for growing hops - or anything. It's a very wet area and it's usually mid June by the time things dry out. My plan is to move them to raised boxes to help with the issue. My question is - Should I move them now and let them wake up in their new home or wait till spring to pull them out of the muck?

No personal experience in the matter with my sad little two-bine container "hop farm," but I do spend a lot of time lurking around this sub-forum, and Fall re-planting seems to be the preferred choice; the roots do a lot growing establishing themselves in their new homes, at least until the first frost, even though there's not much going on above the surface.

Better hop to it, though... don't imagine the first frost is too far in the future a on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Even if fall wasn't the best time to transplant, getting a plant out of muck and into more suitable terroir is better done sooner than later...

Cheers!

This was my thinking as well but I figured I'd get the crowds input.

How about splitting up the root balls? Yay or nay? I'm wondering if it's better to traumatize them all at once or wait till spring to split. These are 3 year old plants btw

Back