Replacments for flaked wheat and flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
My recipe demands flaked wheat and flaked oats, I have no where to get this ingredients (I don't live in the US :(), Do you have any ideas what can I replace it? for the wheat I considered Torrified wheat, what do you think?
10x

Hmm...good question. Flaked wheat is probably my favorite thing to add to beer of ANY style. From my Pale Ales to my Stouts, there's always room for a pound of flaked wheat :)

What wheat does is make for an awesome head retention, as well as a nice full, almost creamy body. Crystal 20, 40, 60, etc. will improve body and head, but from what I've seen, not nearly as much as wheat or oats. Maybe a combination of Crystal malts would work for you. Worth a try anyways.

Couldn't you order some online? I'd be worth the shipping cost.

What country are you in? Oatmeal (porridge) maybe available under a different name. If it doesn't come in flakes or rolled, you need to cook it first to gelatinize the starches. You can use whole raw oats, mill them fine and cook for an hour or so with water. It will be a very sticky mess, but thin enough to stir it well into your mash after you've infused the other grains.

You can use torrified wheat instead of wheat flakes. Torrified wheat has been heated (steamed?) to break the wheat's protein barriers down so the starches can be easily accessed by the enzymes and converted in the mash. I don't think you have to cook the torrified wheat first, but I'm not 100% sure. If no boiling is needed, you would just mill it with your other grains.

Cream of wheat - original plain

and instant oatmeal - again, no plain - no flavorings added.

I was looking for the same thing awhile back and also read that you want to watch out for the salt levels in the oatmeal. Some instant oatmeal is packed with salt, which you might not think of looking for normally.

Thanks a lot all for the help
I live in Israel and we are lacking a lot of ingredients here.
Shipping will cost about 40$ so it is a little buzz kill.
Regarding the oatmeal, I will probably need to add a new ingredient to my beer software as I want all calculations be correct, no?
Thanks

Back