Replacing centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pathogen07

Reaction score
I'm growing comet, cascade, and centennial.
First thing I've noticed over the past couple years is that my comet and cascade plants take off like race horses and are already pushing my drop downs at 25'.
My centennial, meh, not so much. Next season, I plan on digging out my centennial plants and replace them with something that grows with a similarity to cascade or comet. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Mark

It might be the spot more so than the hop. I have 3 centennial and 2 cascade growing and find more consistency between the placement than the breeds.

Agree w/ Kickass. Location, location, location. I've had great results with Brewers Gold growing in a less than ideal spot in terms of sunlight. It produced (no exaggeration) at least 2.5 lbs dried cones per year for a several years before I dug it up. I don't really brew much with BG anymore but it's a fine multi-purpose hop for English and Belgian ales. Considering you have 2 prototype IPA/Pale varieties, you might also consider Columbia ("ia" is not a typo) for aroma/flavor in lighter beers (think like a lemony Willamette/Mt.Hood) and Cluster (good herbal bittering and aroma hops for many styles). They far outproduce the other Big "C" American hops in my garden. Great Lakes Hops generally stocks rooted cuttings of these varieties year-round.

Assume location isn't a problem all the plants have equal sunlight and ample soil conditions. I'm not worried about the plants not producing, they are being dug out, I just wanted to plant something citrusy with similar growth patterns.

I'd love to get my hands on either galaxy or citra, but legal bias bla bla bla

Latest posts

Back