Repitching Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toivo

Reaction score
I am brewing my second batch of beer, a Dunkleweizen. It has been in the primary for 11 days and has a SG reading of 1.016. This is what the recipe said it should be when it finishes. The recipe said to bottle it after about 10 days. when I took the sample there was lots of debris in it so I decided to transfer it to a carboy. While transfering I had my racking cane in a strainer bag to stop some of the debris from transfering.
To make a long story short now I am wondering if there won't be any yeast left to carbonate it when I bottle it. I am planning on letting it sit in the carboy ( 6 gallon carboy with 5 1/2 gallon batch) until Friday and bottling then.
If there won't be any yeast left how can I add some back to carbonate it?

You will still have millions of active yeast in the beer. Especially for a dunkel.

A strainer bag probably isn't fine enough to catch yeast.

I am brewing my second batch of beer, a Dunkleweizen. It has been in the primary for 11 days and has a SG reading of 1.016. This is what the recipe said it should be when it finishes. The recipe said to bottle it after about 10 days. when I took the sample there was lots of debris in it so I decided to transfer it to a carboy. While transfering I had my racking cane in a strainer bag to stop some of the debris from transfering.
To make a long story short now I am wondering if there won't be any yeast left to carbonate it when I bottle it. I am planning on letting it sit in the carboy ( 6 gallon carboy with 5 1/2 gallon batch) until Friday and bottling then.
If there won't be any yeast left how can I add some back to carbonate it?

Yeast is microscopic, so even straining with a fine mesh won't remove it. The only way it would be too little is if you filtered with a very small filter, (I think like .05 micron or something) like some breweries do. Especially with only being about two weeks old- there will be more than enough yeast to carbonate!

The recipe telling you to bottle after only 10 days is rushing it. You can bottle when fermentation is finished and the SG is stable, but it won't hurt anything to wait even a few months- there will still be plenty of yeast!

I thought it would be ok but I wanted to check with the experts here. Thanks

Back