Repitching slurry.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyz

Reaction score
So Mr malty says that if you go directly from fermenter to a new batch of beer you need roughly 100-200ml of slurry. Now i did this on my last batch and pitched about 800ml of slurry into my new batch and it fermented like a pissed off dragon. Did i hurt that batch by over pitching?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There *CAN* be issues with severe overpitching, but there plenty of people who pitch onto an entire cake, and it works just fine. It may cause problems with a style that likes a little yeast stress, like some Belgian styles, but for the majority beers, you're probably fine.

oh cool, so i can just dump my new batch onto the old cake.

oh cool, so i can just dump my new batch onto the old cake.

Yes you can, but it is a bad habit to get into.

It is over-pitching, does not make many fresh cells, so old yeast does the work, will give rapid fermentation, hot and possible fusels, can give some off flavors, and can leave FG slightly higher than expected.

If using fresh cake, I usually pitch roughly a quarter of the cake for a similar OG beer (if OG was 2X; going from 1.050 to 1.100, you would double the pitch to roughly a half the cake). This will get you closer to the 'recommended' pitch rate, and produce a better beer.

If I store the slurry for a few days to a few weeks, I'll pitch about a third of the cake.

Yes you can, but it is a bad habit to get into.

It is over-pitching, does not make many fresh cells, so old yeast does the work, will give rapid fermentation, hot and possible fusels, can give some off flavors, and can leave FG slightly higher than expected.

Not to discount what you said because everything you said is possible but many homebrewers have been pitching onto fresh yeast cakes and I don't think calling it a bad habit is a fair statement.

Would you want to rack a fresh wort onto a yeast cake that has been used three or four times? Probably not. Could you take the slurry from the third or fourth time, build a starter and then pitch? Yes, that's probably the best practice but again saying its a bad habit isn't necessarily true.

Not to discount what you said because everything you said is possible but many homebrewers have been pitching onto fresh yeast cakes and I don't think calling it a bad habit is a fair statement.

Would you want to rack a fresh wort onto a yeast cake that has been used three or four times? Probably not. Could you take the slurry from the third or fourth time, build a starter and then pitch? Yes, that's probably the best practice but again saying its a bad habit isn't necessarily true.

I will not say I have never done it, but yes, it is a bad habit to get into if you do not understand what you are doing.

The only instance I can think of that I would do this now, is if I was deliberately making a low gravity beer as a starter for a Barley Wine.

It doesn't take much to take out half or more of the slurry from a fermenter before adding fresh wort.

My issue with pitching onto cakes is inconsistency. You dont know what your pitch rate is, and as stated, may lead of off flavors depending on the OG of the original beer. Harvesting that original yeast and proper pitching or making new starters is a great way to stay consistent, pitch healthy yeast, and keep a well stocked yeast supply. My .02

I think the biggest issue pitching onto a yeast cake is that the yeast doesn't get a chance to experience a true growth phase (which is where most of the beer flavor and character is developed for the continuing fermentation). Yeast autolysis might be a consideration a little farther down the road.

Whereas if you practice good sanitation, wash your yeast well, and re-build a yeast starter, the progenitor strain could be used ad infinitum.

i poured my cake into a mason jar and pitched half of it. seemed more conveniant and cleaner. fermentation is off to the races.

I think the biggest issue pitching onto a yeast cake is that the yeast doesn't get a chance to experience a true growth phase (which is where most of the beer flavor and character is developed for the continuing fermentation). Yeast autolysis might be a consideration a little farther down the road.

Whereas if you practice good sanitation, wash your yeast well, and re-build a yeast starter, the progenitor strain could be used ad infinitum.

The above quote is exactly why pitching on a full yeast cake isnt the best habit. To be honest I feel its a lazy way to do things, but if thats the way you like to roll. Its your beer.

A much better way it to take a couple hundred ML's and kick it up in a starter and then pitch. Much better flavor from the yeast.

i poured my cake into a mason jar and pitched half of it. seemed more convenient and cleaner. fermentation is off to the races.

Half the cake is probably a little too much, but wayyyyyyyy better than the whole cake.

I don't bother with a starter if it is 'fresh' slurry.

Back