Repitching Irish Red??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotcarl5150

Reaction score
So I might be getting ahead of myself, but I need a rudder-steer. I've got an Irish Red Ale that's been in primary for almost 8 days. I took readings yesterday (day 7) and got an adjusted SG of 1.022 on the refractometer and 1.035 on the hydrometer.

I had pitched one vial of WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast with no starter, and from what I'm reading and getting from other posters here, I may have underpitched. I checked out MrMalty and it says that for an OG of 1.055 (my beer), I need 2.1 vials at 5gal to pitch with no starter, or 1 vial in 1.75L of starter.

So...my question is: can I pitch an additional vial if my gravity is still too high after 14 days? This recipe has a target FG of 1.013. I'm going to try and be patient until then and not worry, and of course have a homebrew, but what does the crowd think?

Thanks to all who have posted and helped thus far. This is a great resource!

I think we need to know temperatures. What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched, what was the temperature of the beer for the first 8 days. Those temperatures are what determine how fast or slow the beer ferments. Also we need to know how you aerated the wort before you pitched the yeast.

Your adjusted refractometer/hydrometer readings make no sense at all. The refractometer is pretty useless once alcohol is in the mix, so take another reading with a hydrometer without temperature correction or anything, and let us know what it is.

Hey guys. Pitched at 72-ish degrees with one vial of WLP004. I aerated the wort by holding the transfer hose up high in the carboy during transfer, as well as vigorously swirling the carboy before I pitched and after. I've gotten a couple similar comments on my SG readings not making sense, and maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have the BeerSmith conversion calculator that indicated that adjusted SG of the wort was 1.022 at 8.8 brix with an OG of 1.055 after 7 days. My hydrometer indicated 1.035 after 7 days.

The temperature for the first 8 days has been between 68 and 70. It spiked to 72 after 24 hours when the yeast really took off. It's held steady between 68 and 70 since then. Not sure if I'm missing some crucial step, but that's what I know. Of note, my mash-in temp was 153, which dropped to about 150 after 60 minutes. It was cold and I was in the garage with the door open. I don't think it's chock full of dextrins at those temps, but I did neglect to do a starch conversion test.

I appreciate all the feedback. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back