Repitching Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
Here is a picture of some yeast I pulled from primary about a week ago. I rinsed the yeast once and then decanted it into two large flasks. After those two flasks settled, I poured that yeast into a smaller flask to measure it. I'm going to be brewing a 1.050 Pale Ale soon and was wondering how much viable yeast I may have here.

I know I'll need about 180 Million cells for my pitch which works out to about 90 ML of slurry using yeast calculators. Is my yeast too dense after rinsing it a few times?

yeast.jpg

No it is not too dense at all. I think you could safely assume 3bn cells per ml of yeast solid.
You need to use a calculator like YeastCalc to tell you how many viable cells you have at the time you actually use it. The viability obviously is dropping as time elapses.

Were it mine, I would be splitting the sample into 2 or 3 and making a starter with one sample about 3 days before I brewed.

If you did not want to make a starter and were brewing in the next week or so then my guess is you will have around the 180bn viable cells you need for your planned Pale Ale.

This is the question that has been keeping me from washing and reusing my yeast.

Back