Repitch Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8274

Reaction score
I started a Porter yesterday, and pitched a pack of rehydrated Nottingham. It's been about 30 hours now, and there is no visible airlock activity. I took a peek in the bucket, and there isn't much other than a few small bubbles at the top of the wort, and a patch of what looks like yeast floating at the top.

I've used Nottingham in other batches and had fermentation take off very quickly, so this seems abnormal, but I do have the wort at 60 degrees and it has been warmer the other times.

Wondering if this sounds like I should re-pitch (I have another pack of Nottingham in the fridge) or wait it out for another day?

Airlock activity isn't always a definitive indicator. Take a gravity reading and compare to your OG. If it hasn't moved, then try repitching.

Looks like I asked too soon. I got up this morning and it was bubbling away. Surprised that it took so long, about 3x what it normally takes for Nottingham to get started, but I guess the lower temperature may have had something to do with it. All good now though, thanks!

I did two batches with Nottingham recently, pitched both at 59-60 and, like you they took awhile to take off. I kept them around that temp the entire time, and once they took off, they fermented pretty slowly, but they hit the FG right on with both batches. I'm enjoying one of them now and it turned out great :).

I did two batches with Nottingham recently, pitched both at 59-60 and, like you they took awhile to take off. I kept them around that temp the entire time, and once they took off, they fermented pretty slowly, but they hit the FG right on with both batches. I'm enjoying one of them now and it turned out great :).

I also like to ferment cool with Notty, typically starting and staying at 57-58*F for the first 4-5 days. It may start a bit slow there, but always finishes the job and is very clean when used at those temps. The lowest I've used it is 55*F and it did fine (with something of an over-pitch).

Back