Repackaging Hops?!?! What is the way to keep them fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
I have over 10 lbs of hops that I have ordered from Hops Direct and North Country Malt.

I know I should keep them in the freezer, but I have also heard that I need to make sure there is no oxygen in the bags after I open them. My question is, what is the best way to keep my hops fresh after I open the bag?

I would really like to hear how you all are doing it? Are you using a food sealer? If so, what kind? Foodsaver, ZipVac, Handi-Vac, or Freshkeeper?

Also, if you have a suggestion, could you let me know where the best place to get one for a decent price is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Battery powered Vacuum pump. Jar Sealer. Mason Jars. About $30 all told to store them air free.

I bought a cheap one at Menards. One of the battery operated hand helds.

I repackage my hops in 2-3oz bags with a foodsaver 2460. Works great, I leave the bags a little larger then needed so I can easily reseal it after taking out what I need.

Any way to tell which battery operated pumps will fit the mason jar sealer? I would be happy with one of those (if i can't find a full size one cheap on craigslist) but its hard to tell online. What model do you have?

Wow! You ordered 10lbs. of hops and don't know how to package them?

That's hop abuse plain and simple.

+1 on the Mason Jars. I have a Foodsaver v2840 and the Mason jar attachment. It is so much easier than messing with bags, not to mention the cost savings since bags cannot be reused.

mason jars, mason jar attachemnt, (cabellas has them), and the "Alvin Vacuum Sealer" method works great for me.

A brake bleeder pump pulls much more vacuum than the battery powered pumps. My Reynolds battery powered pump gets it down to about 15 inHg, the bleeder pulls it down to 25 inHg.

mason jars, mason jar attachemnt, (cabellas has them), and the "Alvin Vacuum Sealer" method works great for me.

A brake bleeder pump pulls much more vacuum than the battery powered pumps. My Reynolds battery powered pump gets it down to about 15 inHg, the bleeder pulls it down to 25 inHg.

I use this exact same technique. That harbor freight vacc pump will get down to about 22in/hg. I think all totaled with the mason jars I was at $30 to store 5lbs of hops :)

Latest posts

Back