Removing stickers/glue from kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Goo-Gone. Then I put a wire brush in my drill press and raised the base until the corny keg just fit. They polished up nicely.

Acetone and a stiff nylon bristled brush. Sometimes a little heat from a blow-drier helps. For a few sanke kegs that had some different type of adhesive that just would not come off I used a large rope handled bucket and soaked them in pbw for a day or two. Then I polished them!

I've always used a heat gun to remove stickers, makes really quick work of that phase. Then Goo-Gone or paint thinner and a rag for removing residual glue. I finish by using a green scotch brite pad on the exterior to create a brushed look that is quite effective at minimizing the appearance of scratches and small dings...

Cheers!

Don't know about the polishing part but everyday vegetable oil will remove glue residue.

Great! Would not of thought of that. Looks much better than these other options. Liked the spit shine at the end.

All great suggestions and I tried everyone plus.:drunk:

Razoring it off worked well but took forever. Also had to go over it with something afterwards to completely remove the glue. Also tried a crap load of others such as acetone, starter fluid, paint thinner, mineral oil, WD40, and more. It was taking several applications no matter what I used. Even PB blaster which I LOVE was only getting the top layer off and need to be reapplied multiple times. The fumes alone almost killed me.

Heat by far worked the fastest and best. You don’t need to burn it. Just heat it enough to loosen and wipe away.

Note: I’m not interested in getting out all the scratches or buffing it so I can shave using my keggles as mirrors. These things will be outside in my outbuilding not displayed in my kitchen. Used to make beer, cleaned, and covered waiting for the next batch. If I wanted them just to look at I’d add a pair of fake boobs on them. :D

Yeah I used the heat gun and followed up with goo-gone. Cleaned the outside of two kegs in like 20 minutes.

Back