Removing hot and cold break before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
I have brewed several all grain batches that are coming out excellently, and it has naturally caused me to look for areas of improvement in my brewing process. I notice that with whirlpooling some material still gets sucked up into my fermentation vessel. I know another method is to pour the wort into a carboy for 24 hours or so and then suck off the wort into the primary fermentation vessel.

I pour my wort through a paint strainer bag, but I am starting to get into light lagers so I think it might help to really remove as much solid material as possible. Does anyone have recommendations or experience with this? Particularly with pouring the wort into a carboy and siphoning off the wort 24 hours later? Or any other method or thoughts on this.

I am in the camp that it really does not matter. I just put it all in the fermenter. It settles out and I get very clear brews.

Here is an interesting read on the subject. http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

image.jpg

I used to carefully filter that crap out, however, now I just dump everything into the fermenter and let it ride.

I think I keep most of the trub out of my fermenter but I don't try and filter it all out. I skim the hot break which helps prevents boil overs and also heard it reduces cold break, not sure about that. When I chill I elevate one side of the kettle about 1/4", whirlpool then let it sit for 30 min. Everything seems to settle on the lower end of the kettle opposite of the spigot and I drain all but a quart to the fermenter.

I think there are some slight taste differences in trub verses little or no trub in my light lagers and I prefer the latter.

Ive knocked out some pretty clear beers in which everything went into the fermenter with no impact of flavor. I wouldnt put too much effort in trying to get crystal wort into the carboy.

I used to scoop my wort into a thin meshed strainer while putting it into the carboy. I found it didn't really affect the outcome of the beer. So now I just dump it all in and don't worry about it at all. My beer is usually clear and doesn't have any of the affects that people claim from leaving the hot/cold break in the wort.

Removing most of the trub also gives you a cleaner yeast cake if you like to reuse it for future batches.

I'm kind of lazy when it comes to my brewing process, so I also dump it all in. The beer clears fine. I also reuse that trubby yeast on a lot of brews. Haven't noticed any problems doing so.

Back