remove labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfink519

KCHOPYARD
Reaction score
I searched and most threads seem older. Is oxyclean and magic eraser still the way to go?

I soak my bottles in a solution of PBW for a few days to a week or two. Oxyclean should work also. Amount of time in the bucket just depends upon when I get around to taking them out. I have way to many bottles to be in a rush.

Some bottles have vinyl labels which will peel off when filled with warm water.

Glue that remains on the bottle after the labels fall off can be removed with a scrubbing pad. Never used magic eraser.

Hot water soak for about 30-60 minutes, followed by scraping with the back blunt end of a spoon, followed by a scrubby brush IF necessary. I don't use Oxyclean and never had a problem with 99% of labels. For the 1% of really difficult ones where the labels just will not come off no matter what, recycle those, they're not worth the effort.

Exactly. There are too many bottles out there to be wasting time trying to get a label off. If it doesn't fall off when I pull it out of the PBW then off it goes.

Well, I won't say that I won't try to peel 'em... For instance, Bell's labels fall off right and clean in Oxy. Sierra Nevada's frequently need a quick peel and short scrub. Brooklyn Beer bottles, on the other hand, are usually a gummy disaster and get tossed.

I add baking soda to my soaking water and most labels come off quite easily.

Use Washing Soda in hot water and let them soak for a few hours, even days if you don't happen to get to them right away.

I used a 19 gallon storage tote, holding 2 cases of bottles. The longer the soak, the less you have to do. Most labels should float off within an hour or 2. Then scrub the outside of the bottles with a stiff brush to get rid of dirt and glue remnants, if any, and brush the inside with a bottle brush, and rinse well. Those jet bottle washers that attach to your faucet (regular faucets, not the fancy kinds) are great! Let them dry, or sanitize and bottle away.

Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) is the leftover component after "Oxiclean" has lost its oxygen, at less than 1/4 of the price. It's also sold as "Laundry Booster" and used to make up 80-90% of powdered laundry detergents.

You can use Oxiclean in a pinch, a tablespoon or so per gallon, but the oxygen component goes to waste, it does nothing for soaking the labels off. Let soaking and time be your friends.

Last edited:
+1 to the scrubbing pad.
I just soak the bottles in hot water and the labels usually come right off.
On tough labels I scrape off with a plastic pot scrapper and get the rest with a plastic scrubbing pad.

If a couple hours in Oxy and a a few seconds with that scrubbie don't work, send it off to the recycle bin.

Bingo. If I have to work at removing a label then I sacrifice the bottle to the bottle gods. A good soak in an oxy solution, a good rinse, and stack 'em high until I decide to bottle.

Labels fly off after I soak mine in baking soda & water I use the $1 round scrubby from dollar general.

I myself have been trying to collect as many different labels as I can for a bar project I have planned. With that being said, I have come across quite a few labels that don't like coming off and will give them little extra time otherwise toss them. I also have had it the total opposite where the labels (ie: Darkhorse) turn to mush and labels can't be saved. Either way as alot have said just soak them for a bit and if they don't come off easily move on! Maybe make note which are easier and enjoy* a case or two. I find New Glarus to be the best, but then again I live in Wisconsin so I can get them.

*hoping you have access to some decent brands!

I add baking soda to my soaking water and most labels come off quite easily.

Same goes for me. Cover the bottles with hot water in the sink and sprinkle about 1/2 cup of baking soda and the labels slide right of in an hour or so.

Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) is the leftover component after "Oxiclean" has lost its oxygen, at less than 1/4 of the price. It's also sold as "Laundry Booster" and used to make up 80-90% of powdered laundry detergents.

AKA "baking soda".

Edit: Ack, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, slightly different than sodium carbonate.

Another vote for simple Oxyclean or PBW.

I had a few bottles that I would soak with dishsoap overnight and tried to scrape the labels/adhesive off with a knife, but it was still a heck of a chore. I switched to using Oxyclean and the labels came right off after as little as 10-15 minutes with minimal effort to wipe clean. I then rinse and run them in an empty dishwasher (bottles only, no dishsoap) to sanitize.

GooGone, nobody? That stuff is a miracle label remover. Check out the youtube videos......spray it on the label, and it just slides right off in minutes.

Well looks like alot like the baking soda, some like oxy. I have the googone. I guess I will have to try it all to see what i like better. I have a 12 pack ready for cleaning. I will report back. Prob wont tackle till the weekend though.

Ammonia used to do it for me, back when I still stripped bottles. It's dirt cheap and works great. I'd just dump a gallon in a bucket and fill with bottles, then fill the space with water. Leave them overnight, pull them and the labels would slide off, then clean the residue with a quick scrub of steel wool or a scrubby. Then put more bottles in the bucket and repeat. This was only for Deschutes bottles as that's all I ever reclaimed.

Now, getting the printed ink off of a Stone bottle... That was the real challenge.

Develop a taste for Sierra Nevada beers,,,not sure what they use for glue but a few minutes in a bucket of water with Oxyclean and they slide right off! Deschutes Brewery labels on the other hand... I do believe will stand up to a blow torch!

Cheers!

Develop a taste for Sierra Nevada beers,,,not sure what they use for glue but a few minutes in a bucket of water with Oxyclean and they slide right off! Deschutes Brewery labels on the other hand... I do believe will stand up to a blow torch!

Cheers!

Like I said, Deschutes labels are easy peasy with ammonia. I could get almost every label off in one piece, peeled off like a window sticker. Unless they've changed in the last year or two.

But it's funny, I prefer SN beers to Deschutes and I live in Bend, but I don't like the short bottles. But it's also really easy to find Deschutes bottles around here. Everybody has a case or two going out for recycling every week, just gotta ask a couple of friends. I stocked about 300 of the sweet old bottles with the hop flower raised design before they changed to plain smooth shoulder bottles. They're great for gifts, people recognize them.

I've been using dish soap and warm water to get the labels off. Just let them soak and they usually just scrape right off. The glue is a different story though, I've been using Goo Gone for the glue.

Not sure if other beer breweries use glue that is easier to get off, but I've been using Short's Brewing Company bottles and the glue is awful.

Good luck to you! :rockin:

So i used the goo gone on a old sticker stuck to a door. It didnt work very well.

I use warm water, and a razor blade. Let them soak for 20 minutes or so, then just lightly scrape them off.

best bottles so far: Ofallon brewery (st. louis) they use a plastic sticker, no water needed. comes off clean,

worst, Heffe

So i used the goo gone on a old sticker stuck to a door. It didnt work very well.

A wooden door? Wood is porous, so it is a considerably different story than glass which is non-porous. I use a bit of goo gone, and it has always been good for me. But I'm not going to twist anyone's arm into using it.

It was a metal like door.

A wooden door? Wood is porous, so it is a considerably different story than glass which is non-porous. I use a bit of goo gone, and it has always been good for me. But I'm not going to twist anyone's arm into using it.

Back