Remove ball lock fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermillion

Reaction score
As you can tell from my question, I'm new to kegging. But I refuse to be embarassed and will go ahead and ask my newbee question.

Do I have to remove the ball lock fitting from the end of my line to use a handpump cleaning system for my beer lines? I thought it would be easy. I poured in the cleaning solution. Screwed it into the spot were I unscrewed my tap handle and began to pump. But nothing would go through.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to unclamp my hoses and remove the ball lock fitting each time. They are a pain to reconnect, especially when using ear clamps instead of regular screw clamps.

Just unscrew the top of the ball lock fitting with a flat head, but be careful there is a small spring and an o-ring in addition to the plastic plug thing. Then put the disassembled fitting in a small container to catch the cleaning solution. Also, I would put the spring and other components in the container but don't dump them down the drain

Alternatively, attach the ball lock fitting to your (just emptied) keg, with the lid removed. This will push the cleaner/sanitizer through the dip tube.

I really like having MFL fittings for this purpose. That, and the fact that it makes it very easy to switch to a Sankey coupler.

Latest posts

Back