Removable support options for growing hops on my deck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
My dad brought some extra Centennial plants a couple of weeks ago from Traverse City that were tine and I put them in a new raised bed along my deck. After a few weeks they are really taking off and need some support. I have thought about this for some time, but never really made a decision as to how to support the hops growing up. I would like to install a few removable posts of some sort. Then I would run a line between them and train the hops up the lines. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to use either for the posts, or the brackets for the posts. I was thinking of attaching some sort of post on the inside, the floor, of my deck, and using a pair or trio of braces of some sort what could hold the posts, yet allow them to be removed after the season is over.

I have thought about 4x4 posts in number of heights, they seem very large and heavy, which would make them difficult to support in this manner. I have also considered chain link fence poles. I could support them with pipe brackets, but would also be putting up a couple of lightning rods near my house. PVC might work, but I don't think I would like the color or look of it very much. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

PVC is not likely to be strong enough. I use 4x4 posts, but the longest I have gotten is still only about 14' off the ground without additional support.

What I ended up doing is sinking a 4x4 section in the ground that sticks up about a foot or so, and I have the 16' 4x4 sitting on top of that. I have 2x4s on two opposite sides with 4 bolts running through the whole thing. When I want to lower the pole I just remove one bolt and loosen another and the pole can pivot down.

I don't have a pair of posts with a string running between them. I just have the twine running up to the top of the post, or up to a cross I mounted on the top just to get some separation up there because the hops will grow all together and it makes harvesting a PITA (That post is not lowered like the others....)

Latest posts

Back