Relationship between fermentation temp and flocculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
It wasn’t my intent, but I ended up performing a controlled experiment, the results of which confound me.

Here are the details:

I brewed 10 gallons of a red ale, OG = 1.053, and split the wort into 2 six-gallon carboys.
I made a single 2L starter with 3 yeast packets (Wyeast 1728 – Scottish Ale) on a stir plate, swirled till uniform, and pitched even amounts into the 2 carboys.
Both batches were fermented for 2 weeks, and both ended w/ a final gravity of 1.008-1.009. (I ALWAYS get high attenuation with 1728, despite Wyeast’s predictive claims).
After 2 weeks fermentation, I moved both carboys to the garage to crash cool, and added equal parts of gelatin finings. Both spent 2 weeks cold @ ~38F before kegging.

So far, a fairly controlled experiment, yes? Here’s the one obvious difference.

One batch was fermented @ 60F in well-controlled conditions using a 2-stage controller, a mini-fridge and a fermwrap. I bumped up the temp to 65F for the last bit of fermentation.
One batch was fermented @ 66-68F in my uncontrolled downstairs bathroom. There were slight (+/-2 degrees) temp fluctuations over the course of the primary fermentation. I bumped up the temp with a spare fermwrap to 70-72F for the last bit of fermentation.

In terms of flocculation/clarity, the results between the two batches are night and day. I mean, they’re not even close. The batch that fermented colder looks like a perfect ruby when held up to the light. The batch that fermented warm looks like it finished fermenting that day and never got crashed at all. Visually speaking, the one is a homebrewer’s dream, and the other, a disappointing failure. Both taste good/clean. No infection or wildness detected in either. They do taste marginally different, but that is to be expected.

Anyone have any theories that would explain this difference in clarity?

The difference was only 9 degrees at maximum but here is my theory. CO2 dissolves easier in cooler liquids. Warmer liquids won't take CO2 as easily as cold liquids. I wonder if ale yeasts are more flocculent when they are colder because CO2 can escape out of the cell more easily? That would make the yeast more dense and then able to drop when it was done. Since your warm yeast is done, it won't give up it's CO2 as fast and it is more buoyant. But, fridge crash that warmly fermented beer longer and it will probably drop clear too.

Back