Rehydrating yeast and temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
How important is having the rehydrated yeast slurry the same temp as the wort you are pitching into? Whats the +/- on the temp range? Tonight my slurry was about 7 degrees higher than the wort.

I have always read to rehydrate in 85 to 95 F. Then you pitch into wort that is cooled into the 60's.

I have always left my yeast at room temperature then pitched into cooled wort and have had no problems. I have also just done the sprinkle the yeast over the surface of the wort with good success. It is said this will kill 50% of the cells but the beer turned out great.

I don't think it is critical unless you are looking at an extreme in temperature differences.

I'm sitting here wondering the exact same thing. I meant to start re-hydrating when I started cooling my wort and forgot.

I've always used the information on the Fermentis site. Begin rehydration in water + or - 6°F of 80°F. Total length of time for rehydration is 30 minutes. Fermentis does not give information on what temperature the wort should be. My worts are usually 58° to 62°.

Fermentis does say the wort temperature should be at least 68° for rehydrating by direct sprinkling.

Other yeast manufacturers may have different instructions.

Brew ny, that sounds like a great idea. Adding wort to the yeast. I will try that next time.

after I rehydrate my dry yeast before I pitch I will add a couple of spoonful of wort slowly until the temperature of the yeast and wort are about the same

then pitch

all the best

S_M

That's pretty much what I do, which is also what Lallemand/Danstar suggest in their rehydration instructions. They say that after letting the yeast rehydrate for 15-30 min, you should slowly add a volume of wort equal to the volume of yeast slurry over a 5 min period, and then pitch. According to Dr Clayton Cone of Lallemand, a sudden temperature change of greater than 15°F causes many of the cells to produce petite mutants, which can in turn create excessive H2S.

Back