Regulator Troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB12

Reaction score
I seem to be having some trouble with my regulator and wondering if any of you have had a similar problem and know what needs tightening, fixing, or replacing.

The obvious symptom is that something is leaking. The current 5lb CO2 tank didn't get me through 3 corny kegs and that doesn't seem right. I've applied teflon tape to all the fittings and checked to make sure they were tight. When the gas is on but all the valves are closed I still hear some air moving through the regulator body but can't figure out where it is coming out. I am fairly confident it is not the connection to the tank, that was obviously on wrong and I fixed it. When I turn off the gas and leave the valves closed it holds pressure for a few seconds and then the high pressure gage falls quickly and when that zero's out, the low pressure gage falls really quick. I'd guess it takes 2-3 seconds for the HP to 0, then about a second for the LP. Any clues as to what may be leaking?

If I want to set my regulator here is what I do. First i close the online valve on the regulator and then I release the pressure on the kegs. Next, I turn the regulator way down and open the valve. Now I increase the pressure to desired psi. When I get to desired psi I have to back the screw out maybe half a turn in order to get my regulator to stop hissing. Not sure if this will work for you but worth a shot

I gave your strategy a shot but I still hear gas moving through the regulator even when I turn it back a bit. I guess I've got two clarification questions.

When you turn up the gas and then back off the pressure, does the needle on the low pressure gage fall as you turn it down? The reason I ask is because I feel like when I used to turn it back, the needle wouldn't fall right away; it would stay at the highest pressure that I put it at for a while, until the gas in the beer equalized with the pressure on the kegs.

Second, when you close the check valves to the kegs, so there is no CO2 going to the keg, the regulator stays at pressure. If you then close the valve on the CO2 tank the regulator will stay at pressure for a bit and then fall back to zero eventually. How long does this take for other people? For my regulator it takes only a few seconds, which makes me worry that there's a leak somewhere..

If I follow you...you're not even holding pressure in the regulator when:

1) Shutoff vavle is closed (so no gas is even going down to the keg)
2) You open and close the CO2 tank valve...the gauge rises...and then leaks down in just a few seconds??

If this is the case...you've already narrowed it down to the regulator.

Again...open the tank valve and put a solution of dishwashing liquid & water on the joints...

1) Tank attachment NUT (some people forget that they need a nylon or paper washer when mounting the regulator to the tank ...unless you have the o-ring built-in)

2) Tank mounting stem to regulator body... (some regulators have left hand thread here...so if you tighten to the right --- you'll actually be loosening)

3) High Pressure gauge, ( again, some are left hand thread)

4) Low Pressure (set) gauge...

5) Shutoff/check vavle...

Now if all those are leak free...look for weep hole on the regulator cover. Is gas escaping there???

If it is...write back...and I'll help you through the diagnosis

It's likely one of two things. Either the gasket (nylon or fiber) at the tank connection is missing or the diaphram is leaking. If it's a leaking diaphram you can usually purchase an overhaul kit to do a rebuild. Regulators are fairly simple and easy to repair if you have the right parts. Don't be afraid to open it up to inspect. If you have the fiber type gasket at the tank connection, try replacing it. The nylon ones last a long time, but the fiber ones not so much.

Thanks guys, those sound like good tips. Unfortunately I'm heading on a trip and don't have time to check on it until I get back in two weeks. I'll let you know what happens when I get back. Appreciate the help!

Back