Regulator screw nearly jammed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbalaya

Reaction score
Hi,

The pressure adjust screw on my regulator is extremely difficult to screw/unscrew(nearly jammed). Is it OK to lubricate this with WD40 or is it better to use keg lube?

Is this a common problem?

Thx,

Jumba

I would use White Lightning Clean Ride bicycle chain lube as it has the most wax content than others with a quick drying solvent leaving a waxy coating in the threads. It also will penatrate into the threads before the solvent evaporates besides it is the same paraffin wax base as candles. Harmless and a non health hazard with many other brewing uses after the solvent dries.

I had this same problem and a little tri-flo fixed it. Tri flo is a nice substitute for wd-40 because it won't attract dirt. However, WD40 will work fine!

Wrong, wrong and wrong on all 3 answers but if it works for you go for it.
Use what makes you happy boss better off with ATF than Tri-Flow to leave a wet mess or WD40 that is totally useless and not a lubricant plus dries up.
Tri=Flow leaves a wet dirt collecting surface, found out on the acme threads on the table saw screws,
what a FN sawdust collecting mess that jamed up the threaded adjusting nuts. Dry film Moly spray a Dow
Corning product #321 100% dry in seconds and slippey as hell. The wax chain lube is wax base for a reason for off road mountain biking in the water and mud, does ont stick to your chain and sprockets.

WD40 is a moisture displacement fluid it dries up, Tri-Fow will stay damp amd collect dirt. Wax base will pentrate the threads and evaporate away the carrying medium called solvent leaving a waxy coating. This will lubricate without attracting dirt hence used on mountain bikes in the water and mud not sticking to the chain. Must be a good reason there. Dry film Moly just do not spray at the reguator unless you want a dark gray overspray. Spray the "T" regulating stud and screw it into the regulator before the solvents evaporate, you'll be surprised how easy it will turn in the threads after plus bone dry no dust or dirt collecting. Sounds like your regulator lives in the frig or keezer under high moisture conditions which is a no location in the first place. Unless a Victor or other welding regulator with a brass body and not a die cast aluminum or pot metal cheaper type regulator the metal screw vs pot metal and moisture is a sure start of a corrosion problem.
Even silicone grease lightly coated on the threads would help unless your regulator is in a cement factory outdoors in the dust and dirt storms and your adjusting it daily. Even my old Victor regulators in the shop for 40 years have no problems and this is not in a hospital clean air enviroment. As I stated above use what makes you happy I just gave you what works for me and the reasons why.

Air blasted not a good idea must take apart and rinse complete keypad, oops spilled my bier before 10 AM not a good sign for the day. maybe I should empty a can of WD 40 into it? Yeah right best used as a flamethrower.

I would not spray WD40 or anything else. If you can glob or brush it on do it. Don't ask me how I know this.

WD40 best applied when the small red tubing pops off so instead of a half assed pin point spray the nozzle makes a big sprayed mess on everything but where you intended to spray. WD40 is crap vs Kroil or even ATF fluid at least it does not dry up back to where you started a couple days later. Sounds like a regulator in the kezzer with all the moisture. Silicone grease lasts for years. Moly spray on my regulator screw threads seems to work the past 30 years even on oxygen regulators, remember no oil with oxygen. Same with a small 6' weather balloon filled with hydrogen, oxy and acetylene with a 20 minute glow fuse. Called a sonic boom heard for miles that will bring the FBI idiots around asking stupid questions.

Back