Regulator Reading Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I purchased this from kegconnections.com : http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=149

I put it into my chest freezer along with my tank which has been sitting at 40F for almost a week. Nothing hooked up to it. Last night I hooked up my gas to a full 5g batch of a beer and set it to 11PSI. When I woke up this morning, the reading was around 6PSI.

I fiddled with the release on it, and it still was reading 6PSI, so I turned the screw and got it up to 11. My question is, what is up with the change in pressure? Is this normal, do I have a defective regulator? I'm afraid I'm not getting a good reading and I don't want to undercarb/overcarb my beer. Do you just have to find the sweet spot, and just trust knowing its dialed in at the right pressure and not look at the regulator?

Any suggestions would be great!

It's entirely normal to have to adjust a regulator a couple times when it's cold.

So I need to just keep an eye on it every day to make sure it hasn't jumped, adjust it, and trust the regulator? I guess I just don't understand why it changed. The only thing I can think of is because the beer in the keg wasn't 40F, so overnight the beer chilled down... but I still don't understand how that would change the PSI going in.

when you change the pressure [here, from 6 to 11], vent the keg for a sec and re-check the regulator's reading. i think it needs to be "cleared" or something for an accurate reading.

Back