Regulator maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anzaak

Reaction score
Hi,
due to letting the uninitiated handle my kegging equipment I ended up with beer inside my regulator. It is M4 from Kegland, 20201127_135233.jpg but more or less same as any other regulator. Pics attached.
I did some disassembly, cleaned it with water and starsan solution, but now I have moisture in my gauges20201127_135242.jpg and 20201127_135237.jpg, as well as the needles themselves seem "sticky".

questions...
1. Does someone know how to disassemble the pressure gauges for drying and cleaning on this model? There are two screws at the back that seem to hold the protective casing in place 20201127_135257.jpg. But unscrewing them does not enable the casing to be removed.
2. Does someone have a general maintenance advice for such case, what to lubricate and with what?
3. Any idea on how safe the use of this regulator is now? as it got moist on inside, I am worried about it introducing contaminants while using it for kegging, counterpressure transfers etc?

20201127_135233.jpg

20201127_135242.jpg
20201127_135237.jpg

Thanks, didn't want to do that quite yet, but you are probably right, it will be necessary to do it

At this point I recommend replacing or completely cleaning the gas line.

Also, in regard to the regulator. Know what will happen? The rubber diaphragm inside, since it was wet, will rot and/or stick. Probably a good idea to do a regulator rebuild and a new gauge.

Don't ask how I know...

Did the full line clean and drying, but need to visit a buddy with a vise so that I can take the main housing of the regulator apart, it is screwed in super tight. Hopefully the diaphragm inside won't deteriorate super fast.
Thanks for the advice.
I just hope I don't have to replace the gauges as it will take between long and forever for them to get to NZ unless I find them in stock

Did the full line clean and drying, but need to visit a buddy with a vise so that I can take the main housing of the regulator apart, it is screwed in super tight. Hopefully the diaphragm inside won't deteriorate super fast.
Thanks for the advice.
I just hope I don't have to replace the gauges as it will take between long and forever for them to get to NZ unless I find them in stock

You are welcome. Learn from my stupidity.

This is another reason why I don't put my CO2 tank, gauges in the keezer (moisture).

Keezer.jpg

Takes a long time for things to arrive from Australia to New Zealand?

that is a nice setup 🙃
depends, if they are willing to ship something and then shipping costs get more expensive than thing itself etc. But AU is usually 1-2 weeks

Latest posts

Back