"Regular" Beer - American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been a while since I have posted anything. I've always said one of the hardest beers to make is an American Lager. So hard to hide anything, and really....who has time, energy, fermenter capacity, and the will to make one? Well.... I've gotten to that point and thanks to having several Spike conicals I have the ability . LOL

Very simple and very good in my opinion. Refreshing!

13 Gallon Batch (Lets you leave one in the kettle, and one in the fermenter)
90 Min Boil
Mash: 148 for 75 min. Batch Sparge
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65%
OG: 1.043 - FG: 1.006
ABV: 4.8%
IBUs: 11.7

21# Proximity Pilsner Malt
3# Cara-PIls

1.5oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Hops at 60 minutes
1.5oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Dry hop for about a week.

Yeast: 4 Packages of W34/70 dry yeast (Just sprinkled on the wort. Please don't preach about hydrating the yeast....I'm old and been doing this for a long time....don't care.....LOL)

Ferment @ 58 degrees for 1 week than let naturally warm to around 65 degrees for one week (Dry Hop during this time)
After one week, cold crash to 34 degrees and hold for around 5 weeks.
Keg and enjoy.

I've always said I'm a beer nerd, not a beer snob. I love, love, love NEIPAs. But I also enjoy an occasional Miller High Life or Lite. This beer hits that spot!

Lager.jpg

That looks delicious, I’m trying to find my own nice crisp lager - have you had it without the dry hop? I’ve never dry hopped a lager, curious what the impact is.

That looks delicious, I’m trying to find my own nice crisp lager - have you had it without the dry hop? I’ve never dry hopped a lager, curious what the impact is.
No, I haven't. But its a really small dose considering the size of the batch.

Back