Refrigerate Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I just read the instructions on my next kit i want to brew. It says to refrigerate the yeast upon arrival. Upon receiving the kit I checked if the yeast was dry... and since it's dry did not think I needed to. So, this was delivered couple weeks ago... is it shot now? My other kit had dry yeast and nowhere in the instructions did it say to refrigerate.

I just read the instructions on my next kit i want to brew. It says to refrigerate the yeast upon arrival. Upon receiving the kit I checked if the yeast was dry... and since it's dry did not think I needed to. So, this was delivered couple weeks ago... is it shot now? My other kit had dry yeast and nowhere in the instructions did it say to refrigerate.
Your dry yeast will be fine- this is the major advantage of dry yeast! It can survive MUCH higher temps at a MUCH longer time than liquid yeast. (Liquid yeast will die very quickly if allowed to warm.)
The second great advantage of dry yeast is it lass for quite a while- like years- without losing (much, if any) viability). This means the packet should last AT LEAST as long as the expiration date printed on there.
Now- if you keep your dry yeast in the fridge (not the freezer!) it will stay more stable and can potentially be good for years past the expiration date (though I do not advise it!).

Most all of the experienced home-brewers here, and me (ha ha!) that use liquid yeast and even keep strands and make yeast starters... we still have packets of dry yeast in the fridge- because it SO reliable! Liquid yeast can go wonky- dry yeast is tried & true!

Finally- if at all possible, follow the re-hydration instructions for the best pitch- basically using a tiny bit of boiled (and cooled) water first with the yeast, Instructions are usually on the back of the package- but you can also google the manufacturer for more complete instructions. This is not needed, but will result in a better fermentation (just be sure to keep your things clean & sanitized first!)

Cheers! Happy Brewing!

EDIT- I just re-read your post. I bet the instructions were for liquid yeast. You'll be fine!

Your dry yeast will be fine- this is the major advantage of dry yeast! It can survive MUCH higher temps at a MUCH longer time than liquid yeast. (Liquid yeast will die very quickly if allowed to warm.)
The second great advantage of dry yeast is it lass for quite a while- like years- without losing (much, if any) viability). This means the packet should last AT LEAST as long as the expiration date printed on there.
Now- if you keep your dry yeast in the fridge (not the freezer!) it will stay more stable and can potentially be good for years past the expiration date (though I do not advise it!).

Most all of the experienced home-brewers here, and me (ha ha!) that use liquid yeast and even keep strands and make yeast starters... we still have packets of dry yeast in the fridge- because it SO reliable! Liquid yeast can go wonky- dry yeast is tried & true!

Finally- if at all possible, follow the re-hydration instructions for the best pitch- basically using a tiny bit of boiled (and cooled) water first with the yeast, Instructions are usually on the back of the package- but you can also google the manufacturer for more complete instructions. This is not needed, but will result in a better fermentation (just be sure to keep your things clean & sanitized first!)

Cheers! Happy Brewing!

EDIT- I just re-read your post. I bet the instructions were for liquid yeast. You'll be fine!

ok whew... thanks! well I went ahead a put it into a small sealed tupperware container and placed it into the fridge anyway. these kits are 1 gallon from northern brewer... and no instructions on rehydating on packets. so per google... i followed this method. Empowering Dry Yeast with Simple Rehydration | American Homebrewers Association and all seemed to go well.

Although i did read it was best to let the boiled water cool to room temp before rehydration... that this was better for more live yeast

My other kit had dry yeast and nowhere in the instructions did it say to refrigerate.
Did you pitch the whole pack of yeast into that first gallon batch, or only a little bit of it? Then saved the rest in that tupperware container in the fridge?

Dry yeast in the fridge loses about 4% of it's viability per year.
I recently brewed a mild with Munton's dated 11/16 that turned out fine.

Did you pitch the whole pack of yeast into that first gallon batch, or only a little bit of it? Then saved the rest in that tupperware container in the fridge?

No the first batch i pitched the whole packet... it was 5 grams with package.

The packet i placed in the fridge is from my next kit and unused and sealed.

Refrigerate Dry Yeast?
For intermediate to longer term storage, you can put dry yeast and LME in the fridge, hops in the freezer, DME & grains in a cool/dry place.

With dry yeast strains, you generally have the option to rehydrate or sprinkle on top of the wort. (Links to Fermentis and Lallemand product information).

for 1 gal batches in the OG 40-60 range, I get good results by sprinking the yeast on top of the wort (it settles fast). In the past, I've used 2.5 g (roughly 1/4 of the package). Recently, I started using 1.25 - 1.5 and so far the results have been good. For me partially opened packages store well for a couple of months (others mention longer timeframes). I close the package tightly with a rubber band (others will vacuum seal it) and toss it back in the fridge.

edit: formatting

Last edited:
No the first batch i pitched the whole packet... it was 5 grams with package.

The packet i placed in the fridge is from my next kit and unused and sealed.
What there a brand/label on that (small) 5 gram packet? They usually contain 5 grams. The mylar envelope probably weighs a gram or more by itself.

Is the new packet 5 or 11 grams? What kind/type?

If you want to save the unused, only snip off a corner, dispense (on a precise enough scale if you have one) then seal the corner by folding it over a couple times and taping it down, or directly taping the opening shut. Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing it. Then store in a well-sealed zippered bag or small, well-sealing container in the fridge or freezer.

The essence is:
The dry yeast inside the envelope needs to stay dry! Moisture degrades it.

For intermediate to longer term storage, you can put dry yeast and LME in the fridge, hops in the freezer, DME & grains in a cool/dry place.

With dry yeast strains, you generally have the option to rehydrate or sprinkle on top of the wort. (Links to Fermentis and Lallemand product information).

for 1 gal batches in the OG 40-60 range, I get good results by sprinking the yeast on top of the wort (it settles fast). In the past, I've used 2.5 g (roughly 1/4 of the package). Recently, I started using 1.25 - 1.5 and so far the results have been good. For me partially opened packages store well for a couple of months (others mention longer timeframes). I close the package tightly with a rubber band (others will vacuum seal it) and toss it back in the fridge.

edit: formatting

Ok thanks... thats good to know! Be able to save on yeast then... my next batch I will pitch a half package. The packets weigh 5 grams ... packaging included.. so about half would be close to 2 g i suspect

What there a brand/label on that (small) 5 gram packet? They usually contain 5 grams. The mylar envelope probably weighs a gram or more by itself.

Is the new packet 5 or 11 grams? What kind/type?

If you want to save the unused, only snip off a corner, dispense (on a precise enough scale if you have one) then seal the corner by folding it over a couple times and taping it down, or directly taping the opening shut. Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing it. Then store in a well-sealed zippered bag or small, well-sealing container in the fridge or freezer.

The essence is:

Ok just looked at the packet... it says on the packet net @ 4g. I weighed it and with the packaging it weighs 5 grams. The yeast came from a 1 gal recipe kit from Northern Brewer. And Northern Brewer is the only brand on label.

Yes, next time I will measure out half and store the rest as you mentioned.. thanks!

Ok just looked at the packet... it says on the packet net @ 4g. I weighed it and with the packaging it weighs 5 grams. The yeast came from a 1 gal recipe kit from Northern Brewer. And Northern Brewer is the only brand on label.

Yes, next time I will measure out half and store the rest as you mentioned.. thanks!
Wow! Repackaged dry yeast just for NB!
Muntons and Mangrove Jack included 5 gram packages in their beer kits for ages. They also sold them individually.

11 gram packages from Fermentis and Lallemend, etc. are sufficient for 5 gallons of medium gravity ale wort (up to 1.060).
That would mean 2.2 gram is enough for a one gallon batch. Pitching about double that (4 g) is not gonna hurt anything.

Do you want to save half of it? And what for?

Muntons and Mangrove Jack included 5 gram packages in their beer kits for ages. They also sold them individually.

11 gram packages from Fermentis and Lallemend, etc. are sufficient for 5 gallons of medium gravity ale wort (up to 1.060).
That would mean 2.2 gram is enough for a one gallon batch. Pitching about double that (4 g) is not gonna hurt anything.

Well... figure if I only pitch half... and with future kit purchases (until i source ingredients independently) .. i will have a sealed unused package or two. I could keep these on hand in case a liquid pitch does does not go well. Have them as back up really.

Morebeer has recently started packing their own yeast, too. Gotta be cheaper for the big boys to buy it by the TON and the repack state-side*. Plus... imagine how happy they were they got their gear in place pre covid!
* they have their "own" cali-craft packs. I have yet to use it, but it's in the fridge. Reviews have been good. I think for their MoreWine line they have been re-packing dry wine yeast for years.

“Alternatively, you can also pitch directly; depending on your equipment, habits and feelings ”

Dry yeast is about options and about what works well for you. Depending in the specific strain, it appears that one can pitch it dry, rehydrate it, or make a starter. Starters with dry yeast may seem like a contradiction - but if yeast price is a factor or it's too hot to ship liquid yeast, a starter with dry yeast could be an interesting alternative.

Reuse it? Product information sheets state that some dry yeast strains should not be repitched. Disagree? Repitch it, see what happens, and post the results.

Fermentis product information sheets have been suggesting direct pitch for a while. For example, from an Internet Archives 'capture' (2004-ish):
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

web.archive.org/web/20041018162143/http:/www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/SafaleS-04.pdf . Wikipedia states the founders of the Wayback Machine "launched the Wayback Machine in 2001".

Pitching dry (or perhaps "rehydrating in wort" ;)) seems to have been recommended for a long, long time...

Many ways to get dry yeast into the wort. Lots of good information at yeast provider web sites.

The essence is:

FWIW, Lallemand has had this
Dry yeast is packaged under vacuum in 500g packs or 11g sachets and must be stored dry, below 4˚C (39˚F). Exposure to humidity and oxygen will affect the viability and vitality of the yeast. Do not use soft packs or sachets that appear to have lost their vacuum. Once a pack or sachet is open, use immediately for best results. If kept sealed (or re-sealed) under vacuum and stored under appropriate conditions, dry yeast can be used until the indicated expiration date, which is typically 2-3 years after manufacture.
at their site (Learn more about our brewing yeast. | Lallemand Brewing on the storage tab) for a while.

Pro tip ;) : pitch the yeast at the end of the brew day.

Back