REFRACTOMETER???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I just wondering how many brewer use REFRACTOMETER? An if you guy’s like using them better than hydrometer’s?

I use and like my refractometer, but only for OG readings. I use a hydrometer for FG measurement.

Not instead of hydrometer but with hydrometer. I love using my refractometer for checking the gravity during the mash period and while sparging but once the yeast has started working so there is alcohol present, the hydrometer is the tool to use. While there are calculators to adjust the refractometer's reading for FG, these are not as accurate as the hydrometer.

All you need to do is use it once and you'll know why most experience brewers use them. They won't work for final gravity without adjustment (the alcohol in the beer screws up the reading), but for taking gravities during mashing and for pre-boil and original gravity (as the wort goes into the fermenter), they're terrific.

They're more variable and finicky than a trusty hydrometer. View accordingly. I use for many hot side things as refractometers are far more convenient, but my important readings (OG and FG) are still via hydrometer.

Mine didn’t come with a lot of instructions and I have not used it for a batch yet.
Does it need to be cooled down or can I just throw a warm sample on the refractometer?

I make small batches and like the refractometer because you only need a few drops. But as others have said, an online correction tool is needed for FG measurements. I have started using my hydrometer to also measure FG at bottling time with some of the extra beer that isn’t enough to fill a bottle. Been tracking the two to see how close they are.

It needs to be cooled down, but you only need a drop, so it cools pretty quickly. I take a small spoonful and let it sit for a minute or two, then take a drop of that.
You need to be careful to limit evaporation from hot samples when using a refractometer. Small, high surface area samples can lose enough water thru evaporation to significantly alter the SG (sample SG will be higher than the bulk wort SG.) I sample with an eyedropper, and let the sample cool a bit in the dropper. Very little evaporation can occur thru the small opening in the tip of the dropper.

You can also use refractometers to determine if FG has been reached without having to bother with compensation calculators. Just take readings two days apart, and when the readings stop changing, fermentation has stopped.

Brew on :mug:

Same as most replies here, I use mine to get gravity readings of my mash runoff and during the boil to check that I'm tracking my expected numbers. I switch to a hydrometer for all readings after pitching.

I'm in the both camp.
Refractometer for everything but FG.

Initially I had some inconsistent readings with the refractometer but sorted out the user error and its pretty consistant now.
I often take 3 readings to be sure.
Big thing is wort must be well mixed as you only have a tiny sample and be sure to wipe the sample area clean after each reading.
I now just dip my wiped dry stainless mash paddle in the hot wort and let it drip onto the sample area and that seems to work and match a cooled hydrometer sample.
Pipets for samples are nice but a pain to clean.

You can also use refractometers to determine if FG has been reached without having to bother with compensation calculators. Just take readings two days apart, and when the readings stop changing, fermentation has stopped.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think this is a practice hardly used. I got tired of the large samples just to see if gravity stopped and started using the refractometer. I use the refractometer way more than the hydrometer all the way through the whole process. It's not until I see no movement that I'll get the hydrometer so I can see what my final numbers are. So in essence, I use the hydrometer one time per batch. Use the evaporated water on your kettle lid to calibrate.

Zymurgy published a new correction calculation to use once fermentation is complete. I've been checking the final readings with a hydrometer and refractometer and testing the equation's accuracy to the hydrometer. It's actually pretty darn close. Once I have a few more data points, I'll graph it all out to display the numbers.

Zymurgy published a new correction calculation to use once fermentation is complete. I've been checking the final readings with a hydrometer and refractometer and testing the equation's accuracy to the hydrometer. It's actually pretty darn close. Once I have a few more data points, I'll graph it all out to display the numbers.
Link to on-line version or Month/Year for print version?

Link to on-line version or Month/Year for print version?

It was the July/August 2017 issue. They go into a deep discussion how they got it but if you just want the equations, they are:

FG = -0.002349Bxi + 0.006276Bxf
ABW = 0.67062Bxi - 0.66091Bxf
ABV = (FG * ABW)/0.791

Bxi is brix initial and Bxf is brix final.

Back