Reflectix Wrap on MLT and BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I picked up some reflectix today after work because I wasnt satisfied with the armaflex wrap around my MLT. So I wrapped my MLT in the new reflectix and decided to wrap my BK as well since I had so much. I heat all my water in the BK, and figured it could help cut expedite the heating process. After some reading now, I am worried that I will melt the lower portion.

The kettle on the right is the BK, and I trimmed the insulation to where it is flush with the top of the bottom bulk head. Will it be kosher to heat without melting, or should I err on the side of caution and strip it off?

And yes, that is the newly distributed (to Indy) Brewery Vivant in the background :rockin:

IMG_0988.jpg

That plastic insulation is going to melt. I use a cheap fiberglass welding blanket from HF on my Boil kettle.

From what I have read, 'Reflectix' is rated at 180 degrees max temp. I do BIAB, and use a reflectix wrap on my vessel to help hold the temps during the mashing (149-155 degrees) and ~170 degree mashout, but would not use it during any process that required any higher temp than that. I have engineered my reflectix wraps to be removable so that I can take them off after the mash/mash out and before the boil. I would not recommend any usage or permanent installation on a vessel that would exceed 180 degrees.

Reflectix will melt. I ran that experiment 2 nights ago. I did a double wrap with an empty pocket in between. The outer layer melted from the bottom to about halfway up. Even with several inches of no wrap at the bottom. Funny thing is the inside layer looks fine even at the very bottom. Anyway, it didn't help. It was about 25F with a steady cold breeze. Could barely get my water to boil with a lid on.

I'm going to have to look into one of those fiberglass blankets.

That's not just a fiberglass blanket, take look at my "pot skirt" thread at the bottom of my post.

That's not just a fiberglass blanket, take look at my "pot skirt" thread at the bottom of my post.

Excellent. I found your thread. I'm going to have to build one of those for sure. Does the aluminum skirt keep the blanket away from the flame? How do ensure the burner gets enough O2? And, does your blanket shed fiberglass all over the place? Thanks!

I'm glad Natdavis777 posed the question. I mean, it makes sense. Reflectix is basically just foil covered bubble wrap. Bubble wrap would melt at boiling temperatures.

But it never occurred to me.

I was planning to make a cover for my current BIAB / future MT keggle with the reflectix I have leftover from lining my dog's winter kennel. Now I think I'll make a wrap and hold it on with bungees during the mash and take it off for the boil.

I am going to strip the reflectix off the BK tomorrow and use it as another layer on the the MLT. Thanks for the input.

truvr,
the aluminum does keep the blanket away from the flame, it sits directly on the brew rig forcing the exhaust to flow up the pot sides.

The burner gets enough O2 from the venturi part of the burner you just have to adjust the opening to your setup. If the flame starts to wink out, there is likely not enough exhaust flow up the outside of the pot.

The fiberglass blanket does not shed any fiberglass and stays together fairly well. The only issue is the thread that is stitched to form the hem of the blanket is not fiberglass. It burnt up long ago causing the blanket to try and unravel. I plan on fixing this with some metal snaps.

Let me know if you have any issues.

I'm glad Natdavis777 posed the question. I mean, it makes sense. Reflectix is basically just foil covered bubble wrap. Bubble wrap would melt at boiling temperatures.

But it never occurred to me.

I was planning to make a cover for my current BIAB / future MT keggle with the reflectix I have leftover from lining my dog's winter kennel. Now I think I'll make a wrap and hold it on with bungees during the mash and take it off for the boil.

I wrap my electric boil kettle with reflectix without any problem of it melting, not even in the vicinity of the element. True, it would not be useful for a propane heated BK.

Nealm

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath that the bubble wrap will survive if you are gas-firing those vessels. I use that bubble wrap on my mash tun and it seems to work well enough. But it doesn't get heated.

Where did you find the Brewery Vivant in town?

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath that the bubble wrap will survive if you are gas-firing those vessels. I use that bubble wrap on my mash tun and it seems to work well enough. But it doesn't get heated.

Where did you find the Brewery Vivant in town?

Yeah, the BK is back to bare bones...

Picked up the Vivant @ the Crown off 36 and Dan Jones. They had Undertaker, Triumph, Farm Hand, and Bid Red Coq...

Back