Refillable Oxygen Tank setup questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
I have a 20CU refillable CGA-540 O2 bottle I picked up. Besides getting a stone and some hose I am trying to figure out what flowmeter would work with this. I want to accurately measure out the O2 I am adding. Can someone recommend a make and model flowmeter that would work with this bottle?

Do you already have a regulator to bring the cylinder pressure down to a serviceable pressure?

No. I just have the tank and am trying to understand what else I need. Do you have any recommendations? Part numbers would help.

I just did a ebay search, and here is what I came up with.

Any with a CGA 540 fitting and a flow meeter will work.

I'm about to order one of these. They seem to be priced reasonably and I've read good reviews for it here on HBT.

bad67,

thanks for all the info. that helps me out as i wasn't sure if there was a limit to the size of the cylinder that is attached to those flowmeters. i found one that supports up to 4000psi input from a cylinder.

carrotmalt,

yeah, i have seen that setup. the two things that i am not too keen on are lack of flow control and using smaller disposable cylinders. but that's just me. there are a TON of people on the forums that use that setup and are quite happy with it.

bad67,
...the two things that i am not too keen on are lack of flow control and using smaller disposable cylinders. but that's just me.

Honestly I didn't realize the connection for the disposable bottle was different than a standard oxygen bottle.:eek:
FWIW, I'm thinking I might throw a $10 pressure guage and a shutoff valve between the regulator and the wand so I can guage the pressure.

I ended up going with one of these cheapo regulators that has adjustable increments of LPM. Flow Rates: 0 - 1/8 - 1/2 - 1 - 1.5 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 10 - 15 LPM. I forgot to mention I bought my 20 CU cylinder from GTS-Welco for $60 shipped. Here's the link

WF I think 'm gonna order one, I'm winging it with just a regulator at this time and like the compact design of this unit. Are you happy with your purchase?

WF I think 'm gonna order one, I'm winging it with just a regulator at this time and like the compact design of this unit. Are you happy with your purchase?

Since you already have a regulator i'm assuming you have a bottle already then add a flow meter.
These Timeter medical flow meters operate at 50 psi with a flow range .5 to 15 LPM scaled. From zero to .5 LPM can be achieved;
http://www.alliedhpi.com/images/z10-00-0101.pdf
They come up on ebay singles to a bundle at $22 to $25 each on average.
I use a 215 cu/ft oxygen bottle with a Victor 100 series regulator, Timeter model ULO-15 flow meter with 1/8" FNPT inlet fitting.

Since you already have a regulator i'm assuming you have a bottle already then add a flow meter.
These Timeter medical flow meters operate at 50 psi with a flow range .5 to 15 LPM scaled. From zero to .5 LPM can be achieved;
http://www.alliedhpi.com/images/z10-00-0101.pdf
They come up on ebay singles to a bundle at $22 to $25 each on average.
I use a 215 cu/ft oxygen bottle with a Victor 100 series regulator, Timeter model ULO-15 flow meter with 1/8" FNPT inlet fitting.

BB, I had thought of doing that since I can get a flow-meter for free. But it becomes too gangly for my liking. I only have a 20 cf. O2 cylinder and already have a "heavy duty" Oxweld two stage regulator hanging off of it (overkill, but free) . I would prefer to downsize rather than add additional hardware. Thanks for the suggestion BB.

Back