CO2 refill way overpriced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I just filled 2 5 lb CO2 tanks filled and had 1 hydro tested for $242 at the local fire extinguisher place. One of the tanks are marked for medical oxygen, and it was missing a label on both (my tanks are 2nd hand). Filling is $62, and that makes the hydro test and labels $118. I seem to recall filling and testing a 10 lb tank at Airgas around 10 years ago for about $60. It took about 2 weeks to get my 2 tanks refilled and tested.

The price to refill a Sodastream canister is $15 each (exchanging 4 at a time using their shipping option) and 5.52 canisters is equivalent to 5 lb of CO2 (if each one is 410 g of CO2). This means doing Sodastream exchanges would be $83 for 5 lbs instead of $62. That's a whopping 25% savings per refill, not counting hydro testing.

From what I've read, a 5 lb tank should last around 10 5ga kegs (force carbonating, pushing, and purging headspace). If I brew a batch every other month, that means with 2 tanks I'd be paying about $386 every 5 years if I round down to $100 for a hydro test. 30 batches per 5 years / 10 batches per refill = 3 fills per 5 years + $200 for 2 hydro tests. That averages out to $77/year for 5 lb tanks vs $50 per year for Sodastream if I've calculated correctly. I could take it down to 1 tank and bring it down to $57/year, but then I'm also waiting quite a bit without CO2 when I need a test done. Does my math check out? About 10 brews for a 5 lb tank, 1.8 brews for a Sodastream canister?

--

Airgas in town only does exchanges and that starts at 20 lb. I'm considering buying a single 20 lb tank to keep outside my keezer since I'd be able to simply exchange same day. I think this might be my best option moving forward. I don't know their prices, but I doubt they'd be this bad.

If I really have to I could see if prices are better 3 hours away, but I really don't want to use a vacation day to refill CO2 since most of these places are open the same hours I work.

I just filled 2 5 lb CO2 tanks filled and had 1 hydro tested for $242 at the local fire extinguisher place. One of the tanks are marked for medical oxygen, and it was missing a label on both (my tanks are 2nd hand). Filling is $62, and that makes the hydro test and labels $118. I seem to recall filling and testing a 10 lb tank at Airgas around 10 years ago for about $60. It took about 2 weeks to get my 2 tanks refilled and tested.

The price to refill a Sodastream canister is $15 each (exchanging 4 at a time using their shipping option) and 5.52 canisters is equivalent to 5 lb of CO2 (if each one is 410 g of CO2). This means doing Sodastream exchanges would be $83 for 5 lbs instead of $62. That's a whopping 25% savings per refill, not counting hydro testing.

From what I've read, a 5 lb tank should last around 10 5ga kegs (force carbonating, pushing, and purging headspace). If I brew a batch every other month, that means with 2 tanks I'd be paying about $386 every 5 years if I round down to $100 for a hydro test. 30 batches per 5 years / 10 batches per refill = 3 fills per 5 years + $200 for 2 hydro tests. That averages out to $77/year for 5 lb tanks vs $50 per year for Sodastream if I've calculated correctly. I could take it down to 1 tank and bring it down to $57/year, but then I'm also waiting quite a bit without CO2 when I need a test done. Does my math check out? About 10 brews for a 5 lb tank, 1.8 brews for a Sodastream canister?

--

Airgas in town only does exchanges and that starts at 20 lb. I'm considering buying a single 20 lb tank to keep outside my keezer since I'd be able to simply exchange same day. I think this might be my best option moving forward. I don't know their prices, but I doubt they'd be this bad.

If I really have to I could see if prices are better 3 hours away, but I really don't want to use a vacation day to refill CO2 since most of these places are open the same hours I work.
It costs me $20 to refill a 5lb CO2 tank at my local fire extinguisher place, so yeah that seems crazy expensive.

Yeah this will be the last time I ever go there. I remember using them once before when I first moved and not being happy with the price. I don't mind paying a small local shop a little more, but there are limits.

Maybe I'll be carbonating with sugar in my kegs for the time being and see just how long I can make these 2 tanks last.

I just filled 2 5 lb CO2 tanks filled and had 1 hydro tested for $242 at the local fire extinguisher place

i couldn't get past, i thought you could buy into a swap at a welding shop for 'new' tanks for 2 5lb'ers for something like that? hope they're pretty enough to justify it!

Consider buying a 20 pound siphon tank and a transfer hose. I should have done it years and years earlier than I did...
That's a great idea. Do you still get the 5# tank tested from time to time?

Actually I wonder if the LHBS I visit sometimes when visiting family does CO2 exchanges.

The price for CO2 in the US has gone up due to shortage. I used to pay 30 and now it's 38 for 5 pounds at the convenient local beer distributor.

The price for CO2 in the US has gone up due to shortage. I used to pay 30 and now it's 38 for 5 pounds at the convenient local beer distributor.
$38 I'd be fine with, especially if that's an exchange. I think this particular company either a) knows they're the only place in town to refill and doesn't mind gouging, b) really doesn't like having to refill CO2 and discourages it however they can, c) hardly ever get CO2 customers but have to keep maintaining equipment/licenses it for it, or maybe d) use the same price as they do for CO2 fire extinguishers which I could understand costing more.

The worst part is that if you put that newly filled tank on a scale, more often than not you'll find that you've been shorted a pound or more. I charge $23 for a 5 LB swap which is up a few bucks due to shortages and demand with my supplier.

The worst part is that if you put that newly filled tank on a scale, more often than not you'll find that you've been shorted a pound or more. I charge $23 for a 5 LB swap which is up a few bucks due to shortages and demand with my supplier.
You’re near me. Do you take uncertified tanks in swap?

I haven't paid attention to what my last couple 5# swaps were at my LHBS but they used to be $17. I'd assume they are no more than $20 or so even with the shortage. I'm just praying they don't run dry one day

That's a great idea. Do you still get the 5# tank tested from time to time?[...]

I have three 5 pound aluminum cylinders, all bought new over the years, and one of them still has a valid cert from its last hydro test cycle.
But all of them lead charmed existences so I'm not all that gung-ho about keeping them up to date...

Cheers!

I remember from years ago many posters balked at trading in co2 and propane tanks because they liked them to look pretty. Is that still a thing here? I care more about quick turn around than how either looks.

$20 for a 20lb swap at my local place. A fill would be the same price, but I'd need to drop the tank off and pick it up a day later and I don't care what my tanks look like.

I have to pay a $35 recert fee every 5 years based on when I brought them the first cylinder I purchased, not based on the expiration date of the particular cylinders I have at any given time. Even though I've told them I have 2 in rotation, they think I only have one. The counter manager may be not listening on purpose ;)

I do propane fills vs swaps for the simple reason that the swaps are more expensive and the tanks aren't full. Plus the swap tanks are usually just rusty old tanks with a quick coat of paint and a shrink-wrap label.

I just filled 2 5 lb CO2 tanks filled and had 1 hydro tested for $242
Ouch!!! That's totally egregious!

I always call ahead, get pricing and availability. The first time I did, 10 years ago I noticed rather big price differences among vendors in my area, and made notes. One homebrew store was selling by the ounce, and they still do... :tank:
I suggest you start calling around.

Last time I checked, 2-3 years ago, hydro testing was $30 a tank whether 5 pounds, 10, 15, or 20, but only one, a large fire protection service, does it on the premises, all others ship them out.
Filling or swapping a 20#er was $26. This is in the Baltimore/DC area.

In the Seattle area, I get a 20# tank exchanged for $25-30 at AirGas or Central Welding. With a paintball refill “station” and a few small pb tanks you can fill them MANY times & they are super convenient for keeping in the fridge or taking to a party with your corny. Even a small 9-12 oz tank will dispense a full keg. Only thing not in this Amazon cart is $8-10 adaptor to attach pb tank to CGA320 regulator. I have always managed to buy tanks on Craigslist for about half of Amazon type prices. If your big CO2 tank doesn’t have a dip tube designed for refilling other tanks, you (and a helper if possible) need to carefully hold it upside down for the fill/transfer process.
I’ve NEVER been asked to re-certify a tank when exchanging. Since my tanks are new & shiny, I just ask at welding shop for a nice one.
Extra bonus when using a pb tank: If you have a gas leak somewhere, you won’t lose 5-20# of CO2 overnight.
PS - No difference between “Food Grade” and welding CO2.

Attachments

• FF538DF5-53B0-40A8-8C35-97A62B453961.png
    FF538DF5-53B0-40A8-8C35-97A62B453961.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 0
You’re near me. Do you take uncertified tanks in swap?
I will take an out of date aluminum tank and I pass on the $25 fee that I pay for recertification. Once you have a tank with my name on it, we don't check the date anymore. We don't take steel tanks unless we already had our name on it.

I remember from years ago many posters balked at trading in co2 and propane tanks because they liked them to look pretty. Is that still a thing here? I care more about quick turn around than how either looks.
I find that the only people that even thing about this is when they get a new kegerator with a virgin new tank. Once you run through your first tank of gas, you realize it's just a container that no one ever sees. I always have some full nearly new tanks and when I get one of those noobs in the store, I tell them they lucked out and I have a gorgeous tank swap for them.

I will take an out of date aluminum tank and I pass on the $25 fee that I pay for recertification. Once you have a tank with my name on it, we don't check the date anymore. We don't take steel tanks unless we already had our name on it.
Great I’m gonna swing by soon. I’m picking up my kegerator and the second tank tomorrow.

I mean, if there were two places that were equally convenient and one swapped and one filled, I might bring my shinny new tank to the one that fills. But convenience trumps all and most places swap.

I just went through this with an oxygen tank I bought new. Made a few calls to find a place that filled but couldn't. So I swapped. No big deal.

Praxair...they just swap mine out all the time. never even check the dates. Recert costs are factored into the swap cost and thus gets evenly and fairly spread out amongst all customers.

Airgas will cheat you. Charge you one day for a recert. the next day they will swap out your fresh recertified tank for one of theirs that's about to expire. And then charge you a recert again your next visit.

I have a bunch of 20# tanks. guess who gets all my biz...

Praxair...they just swap mine out all the time. never even check the dates.
Same here, Praxair for the win, my go to place for years!
Pricing has been reasonable, usually better than anywhere else. And truly full tanks.

I swapped a 10 lb tank at Sidney Lee Welding this April ('22) for $18; there are multiple locations in the metro Atlanta area. I think a 5 lb was $15 and a 20 lb was $25-28. They may have gone up in the last 6 months, but have been less than Beverage Control for the past several years. They swap out-of-date tanks with no hydro test fee.

I just had a 20 lb tank filled at Beverage Control a month ago, 2 weeks before it expired. It is $29 to fill and would have been $30 for hydro testing had it expired.

I believe that CO2 is more readily available than it was a year ago, so you should not have pay exhorbitant rates.

Praxair...they just swap mine out all the time. never even check the dates. Recert costs are factored into the swap cost and thus gets evenly and fairly spread out amongst all customers.

Airgas will cheat you. Charge you one day for a recert. the next day they will swap out your fresh recertified tank for one of theirs that's about to expire. And then charge you a recert again your next visit.

I have a bunch of 20# tanks. guess who gets all my biz...

I get what you're saying, but if you're one place that doesn't look at hydro dates, you become the garbage tank dumping site. People will drive an hour out of their way to stick you with the out of date tank and then continue swaps/fills with their more local place. The way I do it is extremely fair. I do look at the dates of outside tanks and you only pay the hydro fee exactly one time. From then on, as long as the tank has my name on it, I cover hydro fees from then on.

It wouldn't be fair to build hydro costs into the swap because there are people that bring in a brand new tank with a manufacturing date of two months ago. Why should that customer partly cover the cost?

My local brew supply store charged me a one-time fee, (I am guessing to cover recertification fees), then I can swap out my fives for $18. Yeah, kinda breaks your heart to leave that nice, new, virgin bottle there and leave with an old one that has been passed around by all guys, but like I said; if the beer doesn’t mind, neither do I. 😁

I get what you're saying, but if you're one place that doesn't look at hydro dates, you become the garbage tank dumping site. People will drive an hour out of their way to stick you with the out of date tank and then continue swaps/fills with their more local place. The way I do it is extremely fair. I do look at the dates of outside tanks and you only pay the hydro fee exactly one time. From then on, as long as the tank has my name on it, I cover hydro fees from then on.

It wouldn't be fair to build hydro costs into the swap because there are people that bring in a brand new tank with a manufacturing date of two months ago. Why should that customer partly cover the cost?
because that is the most efficient system.

My local brew supply store charged me a one-time fee, (I am guessing to cover recertification fees), then I can swap out my fives for $18. Yeah, kinda breaks your heart to leave that nice, new, virgin bottle there and leave with an old one that has been passed around by all guys, but like I said; if the beer doesn’t mind, neither do I. 😁
and that is exactly why the swap/no-cert system is the best.

Indeed, I bought my three 5 pounders from a lhbs under their swap/no-cert plan and all was great for years.
Then he went out of business. And I found out how much other places wanted for fills, swaps and certs.
Yikes!
That's when I sprung for the 20 pound siphon tank...

Cheers!

I just got an 5# exchange for $30, local beer distributor. The last time it was $25. Asked about buying another 5# tank and was quoted $65. This is in Montgomery county, Pa.

Back