Refill a Sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
I have a 5gal (1/6 barrel) sanke keg laying around from back when I used to drink mass produced beer out of my fridge-turned-kegorator. I recently stumbled across this link Sanke Keg Revealed!.

Could it be cleaned, refilled, and then replace the ring with a snapring?

or should i just return it to the liquor store and buy another corney?

ASSUMING YOU OWN IT.

Check my sig on how to reinstall the retaining ring as well.

I own cornies with a sanke adapter welded into the lid, hence why I use that.

ASSUMING YOU OWN IT.

Check my sig on how to reinstall the retaining ring as well.

I own cornies with a sanke adapter welded into the lid, hence why I use that.

at my local liquor store you leave a $50 deposit for the keg...so if i dont return it, its mine...for $50 dollars.

To answer your questions, yes, yes, yes, and no don't replace it w/ a corny.

Just in case you missed it above, Clutchdude's write-up is excellent for replacing the spiral ring. I wish I had such help when i started. Funny thing I finally figured out how to do it exactly as he does. IMO don't bother w/ the replacement snap rings, once you learn how to do the spirals, its easy peasy.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

Oh and btw, be sure to return it promptly after use.

I use sanke's exclusively and love using them. The only difficult thing is getting that ring back on and it ain't hard. I use the exact methods in that link.

For getting it back on, I made a 'sanke knife' which is basically just a regular knife (butter, kitchen, etc..) that's been Dremel'ed to have a weird little hook on the tip. Do a search for 'sanke knife' and then take your dremel to a butter knife.

The only downside I see to Sanke's is that they are harder to find legally.

at my local liquor store you leave a $50 deposit for the keg...so if i dont return it, its mine...for $50 dollars.

PLEASE....PLEASE search keg legality under the little search button at the top before responding.

I forgot to add that Sankes can indeed be cleaned and what not. The only problem is visually inspecting that you have cleaned every thing up. When in doubt, a hot soak in oxyclean followed by pressure blasting the heck out of it.

The difficult part is cleaning the spear up, but there's a guide around here showing you to to disassemble/reassemble it.

I know you could do with a clamp. I remember there being a post around here of actually being able to also do it with a caulk gun.

The spear head fits right in the end while the plunger fits right on the ball. It may have only been good for reassembling though. I can't find the post!

PLEASE....PLEASE search keg legality under the little search button at the top before responding.

Hmmm.. Interesting point. I figured "deposits" were like "core charges" in other areas. Basically a fee for the product in the event you don't return it.

With this little 1/6 barrel one, i'm just going to get my deposit back and buy a corney (or two if i can find them cheap)

thanks for bringing that to my attention.

QUOTE]

Legality issue of the deposit...

If you get a keg of beer from a liquor store, pay the deposit on the keg, how long do you have to return the keg? A week, a month, a year, 10 years, ...? Doesn't the deposit allow you use of the keg until you are done with it?

Depend on how you view the situation and how the renting store looks at it. Last time, when I needed to rent a keg, I had three weeks to return it for my deposit.

Depend on how you view the situation and how the renting store looks at it. Last time, when I needed to rent a keg, I had three weeks to return it for my deposit.

The big liquor store chain here in vegas doesn't care. They have never required receipts or anything when returning a keg.

So, if you have it longer than 3 weeks, do you own it? If they aren't giving the deposit back, must mean they don't want it.

The liqour store never owned it. The brewery owns the keg. There are alot of threads about this. The problem is that while bmc may be able to take keg theft, smaller breweries cannot afford this.

Back