Redonkulously high Pacman attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok -

Used rinsed Pacman (2nd use) sourced from Wyeast. OG 1.053...FG 1.008!??

Pacman is highly attenuative, that I know. I use it a lot. I mashed at 155 so I wasn't expecting this. I fermented at appropriate temperatures - low 60's for Pacman.

NO simple sugars in recipe.

I tasted the hydrometer sample when I racked to keg. It tastes good - not funky. It is a clone recipe of a commercial beer, and it isn't way off.

Am I deluding myself on no infection? Sure tastes clean like I'd expect.

Maybe overpitched? I use Mr Malty, etc, but perhaps I input an incorrect number.

Anyway, interested in thoughts.

Thanks, and cheers

If it tastes clean I'd doubt there is an infection. My two Pacman beers (both from bottle harvested yeast) got to about 75% attenuation (yours is like 86%). And I did mash high (156F) to make sure it didn't bottom out. Maybe your yeast source, being more pure, would attenuate higher. Here is another account of high Pacman attenuation: www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/holy-attenuation-pacman-15741/

You could also question the accuracy of your mashing thermometer and your hydrometer. Maybe they are off a little?

Yes, I saw that post. However, at 85% or so it just seemed wayyy out of the ballpark. 80% didn't see too crazy.

Good thought about thermometer - I'll have to check it out. Perhaps it measures artificially high and the mash temp was on the low side.

Hydrometer is a limited scale precision one, so it probably isn't there...

Thank you for the thoughts - that gives me something to investigate.

i've gone down pretty low with pacman- when you say no simple sugars- what was your bill? and how many days? all my infections never tasted (or smelled) too hot.

Grain Bill:
7 lb Pale Ale
1 lb Munich - Light 10L
1.25 lb Carapils (Dextrine Malt)
0.7 lb Caramel / Crystal 20L

In carboy for 18 days before kegging. Primary only. Dry hopped in boiled bag with pellets.

Back