Redhook Longhammer harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
Hey folks

I came across a bottle of Redhook Longhammer recently, a rare sight on this side of the pond and bought it on a whim.

I assume it’s not bottle conditioned, but I did come across a thread from 2010 where someone had recovered yeast from an unknown Redhook bottle. Has anyone got more recent experience of harvesting yeast from Redhook bottles in general and Longhammer in particular?

No, I haven't harvested.
But, Redhook's house yeast is supposedly WLP041, and WLP041 is supposedly related to Fuller's.

No, I haven't harvested.
But, Redhook's house yeast is supposedly WLP041, and WLP041 is supposedly related to Fuller's.

Well that was the hypothesis I was hoping to test! :)

FWIW it looks like WLP041 is most closely related to 1332 Northwest, allegedly from Hales which in turn would have come from Gales who allegedly used Whitbread B, 041/1332 certainly seem to be part of the WLP002/007 family. Whether Fuller's yeast is part of that family is debatable, no matter what the internet thinks....

Back