Red X Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, I've just been doing lagers with wy2124, never tried an ale yeast, I'm sure that has something to do with my issues. I'll be trying again with wy2206, we'll see what happens soon.

Brewed 100% Red X 1.060, mashed at 155, pitched plenty of WLP011. FG 1.013. Used a little cascade and Cluster. Delicious. Like the perfect combo of specialty malts. Malty, but not too sweet.

Nice. I just added gelatin finings to mine and am carbing it up. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out but am very encouraged by the hydro sample, despite the cloudiness when tasted. My brewing partner left the sample in the fridge overnight just to see how it cleared up. Looked very nice. I do really like the taste profile of this malt from my early exposure.

Really liking this beer. Gelatin fined in the keg while carbing (40 psi, no shake, for 19 hours, dropped down to 15 psi). Nice malt profile, bready, not sweet, and goes well with the Cashmere hops and Conan yeast. Pulled the first pint last night. Really nice head. Nothing other than Red X.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Pataskala Red X by Stone? Very good. After tasting that and having a tasty batch of my own Red X, I'm buying a 55 lb bag of this stuff!!

Anyone tried Pataskala Red X by Stone? Very good. After tasting that and having a tasty batch of my own Red X, I'm buying a 55 lb bag of this stuff!!

I haven't, but reading about it is what made me decide to brew a hoppy Pale rather than another style. I was discussing the malt with a couple of the co-brewers that I split the batch with about other styles that would work well with the malt. California Common is high on that list along with Altbier, multiple lager styles and possibly a fall or winter Saison. It really has a bready characteristic but still finishes quite dry.

Also, the head retention is outstanding. Lasts the whole pint with lacing all over the glass.

suprised i just found this thread. been curious about redx since it first came out. None of the LHBS in our area carry it, and for some reason the shipping at any of the larger brewsuppliers is astronomical. I dont get it.

I'd like to just do a little 1gal batch to test this stuff out, but no luck sourcing any locally.

Anybody with some decent quantity of Red X willing to toss it in a box and ship 2-3 lbs?

suprised i just found this thread. been curious about redx since it first came out. None of the LHBS in our area carry it, and for some reason the shipping at any of the larger brewsuppliers is astronomical. I dont get it.

I'd like to just do a little 1gal batch to test this stuff out, but no luck sourcing any locally.

Anybody with some decent quantity of Red X willing to toss it in a box and ship 2-3 lbs?

Are you in a local homebrew club? The LHBS shops in Madison don't carry it but they will often work with the club to let members add sacks of malt to their regular orders. Your club may be willing to buy a bag for club members to try out. Otherwise, you may be able to talk one of the LHBS into ordering a bag to see how it does, especially if they carry any of Best Malz other offerings.

no, no brewclub. i've actually got a buddy who works for a chain of shops, but for some reason he says they wont order it. im surprised that in a major metro area (SF) not a single shop i've found carries it, but that seems to be the case.

i'm leery of trying to order a whole bag as the low attenuation issue makes me bit worried. lagers already under attenuate vs ales, and this could double the problem. and an "extra" 50+ lbs of it would be salt in the wound if i dont like it.

Really odd that no one will carry it. No doubt that a whole bag is a big risk for a specialized malt like this. I had no problem ordering a bag as I brew 10-13 gallon batches with my buddy on his Brewha electric system. Used up over half the sack on this 12-13 gallon Pale Ale. I think the attenuation has a lot to do with process, patience, and healthy yeast pitch rates. We had around a two hour mash all told and the beer dried out nicely. No issues at all. We will probably try a Cal Common or Alt with the rest of what we have to compare and see how it is in a different style.

well i think you already got it- they dont want to get stuck with a slow moving specialty. i'm guessing that since they already carry carared they dont wanna deal with another one. and i havent really seen anybody locally who carries any best malz now that i think about it.

I don't have any to pack up and send, but Farmhouse has it and they tend to have decent prices and shipping costs (although admittedly, I'm only a few hours away from them, so maybe it is different getting it shipped to the coast). http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/red-x-malt-best-malz-1-lb/

well i think you already got it- they dont want to get stuck with a slow moving specialty. i'm guessing that since they already carry carared they dont wanna deal with another one. and i havent really seen anybody locally who carries any best malz now that i think about it.

You are probably right. I think it is also misunderstood by some as it is a base malt, not a crystal malt like carared.

Austin Home Brew carries it as does Farmhouse Brewing Supplies and Love2Brew along probably many others others establishments that will ship smaller amounts. I would say jump in and order a few pounds to play with and see if you like it, and report back your results here if you do. I would love to hear others experiences.

first place i looked up was farmhouse. great service and usually cheap shipping. buy alot of hops from them. but even their shipping+grain cost ended up coming out to nearly $20 for 3lbs. austin was similar, love2brew worse, rebelbrew worse, and i dont even remember all the others i found.

the thing is, i know you can get at least 2lbs into a padded USPS priority mail envelope for like $7. cant imagine why it jumps so high at 3lb. maybe i'll do another round at 2.5lb and see if that brings down the shipping cost.

Holy crap, that is nuts. It has been a few years since I have mail ordered grain, with a good LHBS, Club grain buys, and regular work trips to Minneapolis (Norther Brewer/Midwest). I guess they all lost their butts on the flat rate shipping, but still, that seems out of line. We are doing another brew with it, but if I have some left over and you can't source any, we can work out something to cover shipping via PayPal to get some out to you.

thanks bhchrist- i actually just pulled the trigger from farmhouse. dropped it down to 2lbs which should barely get me a gallon. 2# grain plus shipping? $10. ouch.

by the time i make my little 1gal batch and add hops and yeast im guessing i'll be up near $12-13 for less than a gallon of finished beer. ugh.

stupid hobby.

oh man, just checked wholesale. $39 for 55lb bag.

salt in the wound. this better be some damn good malt.

I love this malt. Used it 3 times in IPA's and pales and still want to play around with it. Used it 100% and about 80% but wonder how it would like some rye. I'm not so sure about it but have been playing around with an 70% Red X, 15% rye and the rest some Munich and Vienna.
Anyone tried rye with this malt yet?

yep, tried them. $13 to ship 3lbs.

I love this malt. Used it 3 times in IPA's and pales and still want to play around with it. Used it 100% and about 80% but wonder how it would like some rye. I'm not so sure about it but have been playing around with an 70% Red X, 15% rye and the rest some Munich and Vienna.

i havent actually gotten mine yet, but this already sounds like a great idea.

I made a RedX/rye DIPA last year. Came out great, enough malt backbone to easily stand up to lots of hops. I used app. 80/20 RedX to rye, and used some experimental hops as well as Cascade, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin. It was pretty damn good.

Anyway, yes, RedX & rye go well together.

I been thinking about buying some Red X malt to substitute for Munich, thinking it was more Munich-y. (I don't care about the color.) After reading this thread, it seems it's less malty than Munich??

I made a RedX/rye DIPA last year. Came out great, enough malt backbone to easily stand up to lots of hops. I used app. 80/20 RedX to rye, and used some experimental hops as well as Cascade, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin. It was pretty damn good.

Anyway, yes, RedX & rye go well together.
Thanks, good to know. I was thinking Mosaic and Galaxy with a bit of Equinox in dry hop.
Will see soon enough.

I been thinking about buying some Red X malt to substitute for Munich, thinking it was more Munich-y. (I don't care about the color.) After reading this thread, it seems it's less malty than Munich??

This stuff is pretty damn malty. The description of it having a taste profile between an Munich and Vienna are pretty spot on. Very rich and bready. It is not some sort of "Super Munich" if that is what you are looking for, but it more than hits those characteristics. If you don't care about the color, I guess I am not sure why you would opt for Red X over Munich, but to each their own and I would say go for it. I am happy with what I got out of it this brew. It is crystal clear as well only 3 weeks from when it was brewed.

IMO, this will make a great Alt, Red Lager, and maybe as the base malt for a Marzen. Cal Common is next up for me, as I want to compare 100% Red X with a different yeast and hop.

Used 100% Red X in an IPA, turned out a beautiful orange. I'm suspecting the LBHS accidentally put Munich in the bin.

I just bottled a Red X Rye IPA (54% 2 Row, 31% Red X, 15% Rye) with Cascade and Chinook. I'll report back with how it went when it finishes up.

Also have a Red X / Liberty Munich Dunkel Smash lagering right now.

I just bottled a Red X Rye IPA (54% 2 Row, 31% Red X, 15% Rye) with Cascade and Chinook. I'll report back with how it went when it finishes up.

Also have a Red X / Liberty Munich Dunkel Smash lagering right now.

Looking forward to hearing back. For now, I only could get my hands on 3 lbs of RedX so I'll either create a recipe with that or wait until I can get more.
I love Rye malt with Cascade, Chinook and Centenial as well as Columbus.

Looking forward to hearing back. For now, I only could get my hands on 3 lbs of RedX so I'll either create a recipe with that or wait until I can get more.

I write blog posts for my LHBS in exchange for a discount. He asked me to do two test recipes of Red X since it was new to the shop, one being a smash, so you'll definitely find out how it went as I still have parts 2 and 3 to post.

I think we're tasting the Rye IPA in about a week or so as it should definitely be carbed up by then (I may even try one before that), and then we'll do the dunkel sometime at the beginning of May probably.

Cascade and Chinook is one of my favorite combinations, but I've never made a Rye IPA before so who knows what is going on in that bottle lol

I screwed up the Chinook/Cascade Rye IPA by using old hops that had almost no aroma and flavor, but the malt profile was good.

The Red X/Target SMaSH took 3rd place out of 10 entries in the 5th Annual Hop Blossom Homebrew Comp in Winchester VA for the Dark/European Lagers category with a 35/50.

Brewing a Red tropical IPA today. 55% Red X (wanted it to be more but my scale at home sucks)
28% Vienna to make up for the loss of Red X (I've read they're comparable)
10% 2 row.
8% wheat

Not using 100% Red X this time because after going to 1.060 with red X before, I found what I read to be true- over 1.050 of 100% Red X can be a little cloying and too strong of malt profile, even in a beer where that's what I was going for.
Using El Dorado, Azacca, and a little mosaic hops

Not using 100% Red X this time because after going to 1.060 with red X before, I found what I read to be true- over 1.050 of 100% Red X can be a little cloying and too strong of malt profile, even in a beer where that's what I was going for.
Using El Dorado, Azacca, and a little mosaic hops

Have to agree with this 100%. I was going for a red tropical/fruity ipa. Used 80% red x, 20% flaked oats. Bittered with warrior and used el dorado, belma, and huell melon...flame out and whirlpool and dryhop. The maltiness overpowers it all. OG was 1.076. Beer is a fantastic imperial red ale, but thats not what i was going for.

I brewed a beer yesterday with 40% Red X (40% 2 row, 16% Munich and 4% Red Wheat) because last time I used 90% Red X, I felt it was somewhat one dimensional. Good but didn't excite me.
Beautiful color!

I have a 6 gallon batch in fermenter now, any suggestions on dry hopping amounts for this brew?

I used Amarillo and mosaic during the brew day and its been 7 days so far.

I'm thinking maybe just 2 ounces, one of each Mosaic and Amarillo about 5 days out from kegging

I have a 6 gallon batch in fermenter now, any suggestions on dry hopping amounts for this brew?

I used Amarillo and mosaic during the brew day and its been 7 days so far.

I'm thinking maybe just 2 ounces, one of each Mosaic and Amarillo about 5 days out from kegging

That is totally personal preference. And what you are trying to accomplish. An IPA would take a lot more hops than a plain Red Ale. It also depends on how much and when you added the hop during the boil.

I have some Red X malt that I've been wanting to try out for an APA or IPA. I'm not sure about hop combos. These are the hops I have. I'm not sure about hop timing and amounts

Columbus cryo
mosaic
crystal
Cluster
Nugget
Green bullet
Loral
Mandarina Bavaria

Just brewed a batch with 70% red x, 30% 2 row, mosaic hops and cellarscience Cali yeast.
PXL_20220302_200950186.jpg

Back