Red X Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this malt. Used it 3 times in IPA's and pales and still want to play around with it. Used it 100% and about 80% but wonder how it would like some rye. I'm not so sure about it but have been playing around with an 70% Red X, 15% rye and the rest some Munich and Vienna.
Anyone tried rye with this malt yet?
I know this is old thread, but do you still use this malt? I just bought it and brewed a 100% Red X with Saflager 34/70 and 29 total IBU Perle hops. Fantastic tasting beer - Bready, malty but not sweat. I used the 34/70 so not to "hide" any traits of the malt,
Question - I wanted to use this with a Wheat beer or possibly a "Vienna lager" Red, with 70% RedX and 30 Vienna. How did your mixing with Vienna go?

Used it in a Vienna lager today
Brewed 22 litres of Vienna Lager today.
3000g Vienna malt
1000g Pilsner malt
500g Red X malt
200g Cara Red
100g Carafa 3
Hops Magnum, Hersbrucker and Styrian Golding.
Yeast MJ M54
OG 1048

Used it in a Vienna lager today
Brewed 22 litres of Vienna Lager today.
3000g Vienna malt
1000g Pilsner malt
500g Red X malt
200g Cara Red
100g Carafa 3
Hops Magnum, Hersbrucker and Styrian Golding.
Yeast MJ M54
OG 1048
Never heard of Mangrove Jack yeast ?? This M54 lager yeast almost sounds like the very clean Saflager 34/70 that also can work at 64- 65F without any Ale-like off flavors
Let us know how it tastes after you get it done, and lagered a little.

Has Anyone compared - Great Western Caramel Steam malt, to Bestmalz Red-X ?
I absolutely love Red-X! I did a 100% RedX with Saflager 34/70, and all Perle hops, and this was one of my all-time best beers to date (188 batches since 1994)
Not sure if Great Western Caramel Steam is the same process as what the German maltster does??

Back