Red Rye IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eonsend

Reaction score
This is my first time doing a red rye IPA and I'd like some input on my recipe. Thanks for your help!

Red Rye IPA
All Grain: 5.00 Gal
ABV: 6.67%
OG: 1.065 FG: 1.014
IBUs: 61
Color: 15.8 SRM

90 minute BIAB mash @ 152
60 minute boil

Grist:
10 # US 2-Row
2 # Rye Malt
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz crystal 40L
4 oz roasted barley

1 oz columbus @ 60
.5 oz cascade @ 20
.5 oz willamette @ 10
1.5 oz willamette @ 0
1 oz cascade @ 0

Dry hop for 7 days with 0.5 oz cascade, 1 oz willamette, 1oz columbus

Pitch WLP001 California ale and ferment at 66. Let me know what you guys think!

I think it is making me thirsty!

I assume that roast barley is really just for color? Maybe add it after the mash to reduce roastiness/astringency. I would cut it in half for fear of interfering with the rye.

Very interested to know how this turns out.

I agree with Single, it looks good but you're going to taste that much roasted barley. I use about 1.5 oz per 5 gal of dark roasted malt when aiming for red color.

+1 to the roasted barley comments...

My most recent red PA/IPA (5 gallon partial mash) only used 0.5 oz. of roasted barley, plus equal parts 40, 60 and 80 plus some Carafa II. Came out a lovely garnet.

Agree with previous posters regarding the roasted barley. I'd take it out altogether and maybe sub a couple ounces of debittered black in it's place to add some color. I've tried a little RB in a hoppy red ale and didn't really feel that the roastiness was a good fit. Save it for an Irish Red.

Cool, thanks for all the comments. It seems like the consensus is that there's too much roasted barley. I don't think my LHBS has debittered black, so if I took it down to 2 oz of roasted barley would that get me the color without too much roast flavor? Or should I sub it for another malt?

2oz of any "black" malt is my sweet spot for getting any sort of Amber color. If you really wanted, you could try using Chocolate Rye instead to get the color. Love that stuff and it fits with your Rye IPA.

I might add some cane sugar to the bill. Its just personal taste, but I like my IPAs to be very dry like Saisons. I like to mash them 148-150 as well as adding the sugar. It really helps the hops come through. I usually do 5-7% sugar by weigh which is always 0.5-0.75lb for my IPAs

I don't think my LHBS has debittered black, so if I took it down to 2 oz of roasted barley would that get me the color without too much roast flavor? Or should I sub it for another malt?

2 oz of RB would add color w/o imparting much flavor, so yeah, that would work, but it may not give you as much color as you want since it tends to be in the 300L range, as opposed to 500+ that you get with black grains. In lieu of debittered black, you could go with any of the huskless/dehusked black grains, such as chocolate rye (as m00ps suggested), midnight wheat, or Carafa Special II or III. You could even go with plain ol' 500L chocolate or Black Patent, as that would be better IMO than RB, though I would add them in the last 10-15 minutes of the mash so that you get color only and none of the bitterness.

Back