Red help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVix

Reaction score
I am tasked with producing a red ale for a big local HomeBrew Fest in July. I have brewed 3 test batches and I can not achieve the red. I have tailored one of my very popular Pale Ale recipes, using varying quantities of Roasted Barley to get the "red" with no luck. Kinda red but not RED red. Can anyone offer a grain bill that will yield RED ?

I am tasked with producing a red ale for a big local HomeBrew Fest in July. I have brewed 3 test batches and I can not achieve the red. I have tailored one of my very popular Pale Ale recipes, using varying quantities of Roasted Barley to get the "red" with no luck. Kinda red but not RED red. Can anyone offer a grain bill that will yield RED ?

Red X malt

I used this and got a nice red color for 5 gallons:

11# base malt
1# flaked wheat
0.5 lbs special B
2 oz roasted barley

Another idea is to look up some classic red ale recipes and see how they achieved the color and then copy it. Brewing classic styles comes to mind. I'm sure there are some other tried and true recipes out there as well.

Make some fresh red beet beer..ha that ought to reden things up. Beets in the boil beets in secondary. Probably taste like caca.

My reds are generally 10% British Crystal (medium, around 65) + 1.5% pale chocolate. For my 5 gallon batches this works out to 1.25 lbs Crystal and 3 oz pale chocolate. To go a little darker (still red) I sometimes use Belgium chocolate - 340 SRM.

Base malt is usually MO, and, FWIW, I add 2 lbs Oat malt or Rye malt.

Steve da sleeve

Back