Red flaked wheat vs. flaked wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psubrewer

Reaction score
Should I hesitate to replace "flaked wheat" with "red flaked wheat" for a Wit recipe? I'm not sure there is a difference

Red wheat is used in hefes. White wheat is more appropriate for wits.

You're better off using red flaked wheat, IMO.

See if you can find just plain old wheat berries. A bulk food store should carry some. Wheat berries are definitely the ideal choice for a wit.

psubrewer said:
okay great, i'll give that a try. thanks emjay!

NP

What are you giving a try though? The red flaked, or wheat berries?

I plan on giving the wheat berries a shot. thinking about a grain bill of 50% wheat berries 50% pilsner malt.

from what i gather, a protein rest will be required with unmalted wheat.

what should i expect for efficiency with the wheat berries? i normally get ~75% with 2-row in a batch sparge setup.

It'll probably be a bit lower unless you do a cereal mash. I'd prefer just to add more wheat berries though... I'd figure about a 50% efficiency for it... so I'd increase the amount of wheat berries.

This would work out to 33% Pilsner Malt (actual weight unchanged) and 67% wheat berries. Keep in mind that it's better to overshoot... you can always dilute with water if the OG is too high.

The main thing is to make sure that the pilsner malt you're using has enough diastatic power. Anything lower than 100%, and I'd be substituting white wheat malt for SOME of the wheat berries... possibly equal parts wheat berries and pilsner malt. Or just add some amylase enzyme powder tobthe mash.

One thing I should mention is that a pretty traditional ingredient for witbier is oats, and IMO it's pretty important to get the proper mouthfeel down. I would strongly recommend a grist with about 10% oats.

Lastly... what is your mashing system like? Traditional 3-vessel? Recirculating? BIAB??

I'm always helpful. You just don't venture out of the BS sections enough, I guess...

emjay said:
I'm always helpful. You just don't venture out of the BS sections enough, I guess...

I'm hardly in the BS sections ever! All but a few hundred of my posts I came by honestly!

TKT - done.
TR - an occasional guilty pleasure.

Oh yeah, the wheat. Red wheat has far more phenolic compounds and a higher level of tannins, so it wouldn't be ideal for a wit.

I've just got deja vu from typing that for some weird reason...

Back