Red Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No_Party

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to make a red ale with 6 different grains and no more than one of any particular type. Does anyone have an idea of how to get it red with only using 6-row as my barley grain? I'm not sure what combination of malts will get me the red color I need.

1% roast barley, long, long boils. By one of a particular type, you mean just one barley, one rye, one oat etc? if thats the case, you are pretty limited. 1% roast unmalted grain, 6 hour boil, is the best i can think of.

Yeah, it's one barley, one wheat, one oat, etc. At first I was thinking of using midnight wheat, but I'm not sure if I'll get red, or more amber, out of it.

A friend gave me the idea of adding dried hibiscus in the dry hop phase to turn it red. It will be an IPA so this may solve my problem unless someone can come up with a better grain solution.

That sounds like a good idea, however I don't know of anyone that has tried that so I can't help in this situation :)

Back