reconditioning pinlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I got some used (rough shape) pin lock kegs, and neither of them have gas dip tubes on them. Is that an essential component? They both hold pressure, because they arrived pressurized. (I figured it out when I couldn't get the lid open.)

Do you need a gas dip tube?

It looks like there is a gasket/o-ring inside the post, around the poppet spring, but that seems incorrect. I am wondering if it is because the post doesn't fit right without a dip tube and corresponding gasket? Anyone have any insight?

I'd guess that if they are holding pressure then it's not a necessity, but that depends on the poppet. If the poppet is tall and resting on the o-ring instead of on a piece of metal it may cause a leak if the o-ring is damaged. Some poppets wedge into the threads of the post above any contact with the dip-tube so in that case it shouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back