Gas post leak at bottom - Fixed and came back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
I am using Corny kegs with universal posts, brand new poppets and such... However there is a consistent leak at the bottom of the post and it is driving me bonkers. This same post lost me quite a bit of a 5# CO2 which are not cheap where I live, exchange or refill.

- The dip tube O-ring is perfectly intact as far as I can tell.
- There is no hindrance on the threads or anything, it is as tight as I can pull it.
- It leaks if pressurized regardless of if the ball lock is attached.
- Thought I fixed it for a time, but it has reappeared.

Edit: just applied some Molykote that I use on my espresso machine o-ring to the dip tube. Will see how it goes in the morning.

Last edited:
Given your description, it's the seal at the dip tube o-ring, either because of the o-ring itself or deformed hardware.

What do you mean by "There is no hindrance on the threads or anything, it is as tight as I can pull it."? What are you pulling on? If you mean that the post is tightened until it hits metal on metal, that could mean the dip tube o-ring isn't being (and can't be) compressed enough. If that's the case, using two o-rings instead of one can cure that.

Given your description, it's the seal at the dip tube o-ring, either because of the o-ring itself or deformed hardware.

What do you mean by "There is no hindrance on the threads or anything, it is as tight as I can pull it."? What are you pulling on? If you mean that the post is tightened until it hits metal on metal, that could mean the dip tube o-ring isn't being (and can't be) compressed enough. If that's the case, using two o-rings instead of one can cure that.

Waiting on o-rings in the mail...

Can anyone please comment on this: with a keg leak, will every spec of CO2 inside leave the chilled keg? If not, at what rate would I expect oxygen to become an issue? Or will there always be a protective cushion of CO2 that remains inside preserving my precious elixir?

Can anyone please comment on this: with a keg leak, will every spec of CO2 inside leave the chilled keg?

CO2 will keep leaving until it reaches equilbrium with the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.

If not, at what rate would I expect oxygen to become an issue?

Oxygen will be getting in fairly quickly. If escaping CO2 is causing a "wind" for a little while, that will help keep O2 out. But after that, O2 will be able to enter very easily. At that point, the CO2 concentration inside won't really matter, because the O2 will seek equilibrium between the keg headspace and the atmosphere (and between the keg headspace and the beer) independently of what CO2 is there.

Or will there always be a protective cushion of CO2 that remains inside preserving my precious elixir?

No, there won't.

Back