Recommendations for compact trub of fruit beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royger

Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I brewed a sour fruit beer with 3.6Kg (~8lb) of frozen crushed mango added to the whirlpool. I ended up with 25L (6.6gal) in the FV, fermentation was normal and then I cold crashed it for 2 days. That however didn't manage to compact much of the trub, so I ended up having to dispose of about 9L (2.4gal) of trub. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to get a compact trub when adding lots of fruit? Should I cold crash for longer in that case?

See attached photo for the contents of the fermenter when kegging.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fv.jpg
    fv.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 0
Yeah you probably should cold crash longer , however in a cold keg it will drop . I don't add fruit to the kettle when I brew sours so I don't know if that makes it worse then in the fv .

Yeah you probably should cold crash longer , however in a cold keg it will drop . I don't add fruit to the kettle when I brew sours so I don't know if that makes it worse then in the fv .
Thanks for the reply. I added the fruit to the kettle so there was more glucose in the wort for Philly Sour to use for acidification. Not sure either if that made a difference regarding trub compactation. FWIW, trub didn't seem to compact after cold crashing for 2 days. Can try to leave for longer next time, I'm just unsure if it would settle anymore due to the huge amount of fruit used.

Try adding in Knox clear gelatin, just prior to cold crashing.
Heat some water up just short of a boil in the microwave, stir in the gelatin until it dissolves then pour it into you fermenter.

Back