Recipie suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblyman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've done about 15 all grain brews with my Grainfather and getting the hang of it.. I've got kegging setup and starting to create some good beer (according to me).

Anyway, after a recent purchase off Gumtree, the guy threw in some unmilled grains. I've listed them below - but i'm curious as if there is a site or way to plug in what grains I've got and it come back with some suggestions at to beer i could brew (mainly focused on the grains, i'm happy to buy any hops etc).

I have the following:
  1. >4kg of Joe White Malting Traditional Ale Malt
  2. >2kg of Vienna Malt (12 EBC)
  3. 500 grams of Crystal Malt (145 EBC)
Could I just put it all together - follow a regular 60 minute boil and 165F - aim for about 20 litres and pick a single hop?

I'd be looking for regularish fermentation of around 18 degrees.. Any reason as to why it may not work?

Thanks in advance,

If you click on the brewing software link at the top of the pages of this site, it will take you to Brewer's Friend | Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators & Forum

I don't know if the free membership allows you to, but the search function will allow you to put in what you have, malts, hops or other beer ingredients and then shows you recipes others have created using that item/items.

18° fermentation? Is that Fahrenheit as you seemed to use earlier in the op, or is that Celsius which would be a little colder than what I prefer 68°F (20°C) for ales and IPAs.

But many do that temp for ales and IPAs. Just curious myself since at the higher temps I use I don't need any cooling and my beers taste great to me and the few that have sampled it... unless they are trying not to hurt my feelings. But with them, that's not in their make up to pass up a good chance to pick with another!

With pale ale malt and Vienna, you really can’t go wrong in your grain bill, in just about any proportions. With crystal you can definitely add too much, and I’d probably use half of what you’ve got. (I would probably leave the crystal out completely, actually, but it’s a matter of taste.). And then yeah, pick a hop and go! Depending on the hop and the amount of crystal, you might end up with a cream ale, or a blonde, or a Vienna lager, or something that doesn’t really fit into a style but still tastes good. Call it a TMaSH (triple malt and single hop) and call it a day.

But you are going to mill those grains first, right? And what is 165 F — hopefully not the mash temperature. Anyway, unless you’ve got something specific in mind I’d use Nottingham, which is perfectly happy in the 16-20 range.

Thanks @hotbeer - exactly what i was looking for.. Brewers friend seems to be quite a good tool. Not one i've seen or used as the Grainfather tool seems to cover most of what i was looking for.

Definitely going to mill the grains.. I've got a miller and not afraid to use it !

16/18/20 - i've got temp control on my fermenter so no issues there around that range. I'll just follow the yeast suggestions - i'm not looking for a larger was the point of that comment.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

With pale ale malt and Vienna, you really can’t go wrong in your grain bill, in just about any proportions. With crystal you can definitely add too much, and I’d probably use half of what you’ve got. (I would probably leave the crystal out completely, actually, but it’s a matter of taste.). And then yeah, pick a hop and go! Depending on the hop and the amount of crystal, you might end up with a cream ale, or a blonde, or a Vienna lager, or something that doesn’t really fit into a style but still tastes good. Call it a TMaSH (triple malt and single hop) and call it a day.
^^^ this.
Cut the crystal in half and toss the remaining grains in. Pick a hop and go.

Mash between 150-155f

I'd probably keep things as they are right now, assuming a 5 gal batch. You're looking at about 92% base malt and 8% lightish crystal which screams British beer to me.

Mill fine and chuck it all in. Mash for medium-high fermentability for 45/60 minutes.

Drop in 25 IBU of Challenger or Target in the boil, with an ounce or so of First Gold or Fuggle at 5m and another two in a whirlpool.

Ferment at 18°C with a ~75% attenuation British ale yeast and leave to bulk condition for 3-4 weeks after fermentation gas completed and the yeast has cleaned up.

That'll net you a pretty tasty British Strong Ale that'll be good to drink right now and be even better to bottle up and keep for the winter.

Back