Recipes that don't really conform to a style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 336313

Reaction score
So... Our (small) brewery was asked to create and brew a recipe for an arthouse cinema around the corner. They want something special as a core beer that is their own. Something that has its own character and yet is sessionable and suited for wide public. So I came up with the recipe below. What would you call this? What style is it? Do you guys sometimes come up with something that doesnt immediately conform to a known style? Also: feel free to voice your opinion of it, and hit me with suggestions...

Munich malt 72,2%
Roasted wheat malt 18,2%
Cara Gold malt (Crisp) 9,1%

Fermented with Munich Classic by Lallemand

Single hop: Warrior - 30 mins boil, 10 mins boil and whirlpool at 194 F.

IBU: 20
BU/GU 0,35

ABV 5,3%

Thanks!

So... Our (small) brewery was asked to create and brew a recipe for an arthouse cinema around the corner. They want something special as a core beer that is their own. Something that has its own character and yet is sessionable and suited for wide public. So I came up with the recipe below. What would you call this? What style is it? Do you guys sometimes come up with something that doesnt immediately conform to a known style? Also: feel free to voice your opinion of it, and hit me with suggestions...

Munich malt 72,2%
Roasted wheat malt 18,2%

BU/GU 0,35

ABV 5,3%

Thanks!
Dunkelweizen. Or dark Dampfbier. I personally don't see this one as a good choice for beer that suits a bigger audience. Too dark if you ask me. About 20% roast is about 10% above what I would do max in a stout.

Dunkelweizen. Or dark Dampfbier. I personally don't see this one as a good choice for beer that suits a bigger audience. Too dark if you ask me. About 20% roast is about 10% above what I would do max in a stout.

Roasted wheat isnt that dark though! More bready, like wheat bread from oven. I use it in our hefeweizen too. That beer is still yellow-gold-orange... So the name is misleading.

Roasted wheat isnt that dark though! More bready, like wheat bread from oven. I use it in our hefeweizen too. That beer is still yellow-gold-orange... So the name is misleading.
OK, that sounds good then. I was more thinking in terms of midnight wheat. So it's basically a German Dunkelweizen that runs a bit low on wheat content.

Can be tasty!

I usually find that proportion of Munich malt overwhelming. It depends on the maltster; Munichs vary a lot. If it were my beer I'd swap for 70+% Vienna. That will give you an entirely different beer, but it might end up more sessionable and with broader appeal.

What flavors are you hoping to get from your yeast?

I've never used that much Munich nor ever used the Roasted wheat and won't comment on the recipe. I will however ask - did they give you a totally blank canvas or is anyone there a beer geek in the least with at least something in mind as a starting point?

It's beer. Why does it have to fit into a neat box?
The problem I see in this case is that the beer has to fit into a very poorly defined box. You could probably make two dozen beers that might be "special with it's own character but sessionable and suited to a wide public" and have the client say "that's not at all what we had in mind" two dozen times.

I usually find that proportion of Munich malt overwhelming. It depends on the maltster; Munichs vary a lot. If it were my beer I'd swap for 70+% Vienna. That will give you an entirely different beer, but it might end up more sessionable and with broader appeal.

What flavors are you hoping to get from your yeast?

Nice one, I'll consider that.

And as for yeast: not too much banana, but def some clove and hefe vibe.

I've never used that much Munich nor ever used the Roasted wheat and won't comment on the recipe. I will however ask - did they give you a totally blank canvas or is anyone there a beer geek in the least with at least something in mind as a starting point?

Cart blanche. Only criterium: something original, yet sessionable, yet can't be too much like standard lager (because of conflict with InBev otherwise). And I didn't want to do yet another IPA. They have plenty of those (commercial ones) already anyway.

The problem I see in this case is that the beer has to fit into a very poorly defined box. You could probably make two dozen beers that might be "special with it's own character but sessionable and suited to a wide public" and have the client say "that's not at all what we had in mind" two dozen times.

Very true. I did show them this recipe and tried explaining what I had in mind. They said: go for it. But it feels like quite a leap. I mean I don't know what will come out exactly.

I'm not trying to be overly negative about the project. I guess it depends on how well you know your customer. They don't exactly know what they're looking for and you don't know exactly what you're making. Could be a lot of fun if they really are as open-minded as they sound. Or no fun at all if not.

I'm not trying to be overly negative about the project. I guess it depends on how well you know your customer. They don't exactly know what they're looking for and you don't know exactly what you're making. Could be a lot of fun if they really are as open-minded as they sound. Or no fun at all if not.

Jep... I know the people though. Also, I will def tweak the batches that follow after the first, with input from them, and me tasting it myself.

create and brew a recipe for an arthouse cinema around the corner. They want something special as a core beer that is their own. Something that has its own character and yet is sessionable and suited for wide public.

something original, yet sessionable, yet can't be too much like standard lager (because of conflict with InBev otherwise).
My immediate thought, if it's not a conflict with Hoegaarden, would be "wit with a spin", along the lines of Bombay Dazzler which for a long time was the house beer of Bundobust in Leeds - a wit with ginger, coriander seed and cardamom pods reflecting their Indian food.

The basic style is familiar to the customers, it's not too dependent on the hops so you can use ones that have a bit of a story, and it's easy to do a differently/non-spiced version for the pub from the same gyle.

By hops with a story, I'd either use local hops - you're local, the cinema is local, the other beers on the bar are from InBev, so why go halfway round the world for your Warrior? Or use hops that have a nod to the cinema - Epic is the obvious one, Herkules and Pilot also kind of work. But I suspect you'd have to go direct to someone like Hukins for the Epic and Farams for the Pilot, but I'd guess both can probably do you 1kg bags which would make customs easier.

My immediate thought, if it's not a conflict with Hoegaarden, would be "wit with a spin", along the lines of Bombay Dazzler which for a long time was the house beer of Bundobust in Leeds - a wit with ginger, coriander seed and cardamom pods reflecting their Indian food.

The basic style is familiar to the customers, it's not too dependent on the hops so you can use ones that have a bit of a story, and it's easy to do a differently/non-spiced version for the pub from the same gyle.

By hops with a story, I'd either use local hops - you're local, the cinema is local, the other beers on the bar are from InBev, so why go halfway round the world for your Warrior? Or use hops that have a nod to the cinema - Epic is the obvious one, Herkules and Pilot also kind of work. But I suspect you'd have to go direct to someone like Hukins for the Epic and Farams for the Pilot, but I'd guess both can probably do you 1kg bags which would make customs easier.

Thank you for this!

Back to your original question about "style". I feel with all brewing we need some sort of base line to follow and that's what style is. From that point a brewer can change the ingredients many different ways to suit what they want to achieve. Look how a wheat beer can change. I went through the BJCP training to become a judge and part of that was learning the style guidelines. The most important thing I learned was that the BJCP style guidelines were just that - a guide.

I have a week left in fermentation ,then my Kentucky Common is going in a pin for a July 4 party. You can't find this style on tap much,Foxtown in Mequon put one out. I use corn grits in a cereal mash. BCM drinkers enjoy this style.

So, I tweaked the recipe. Changed the malt bill.

Munich 45,5%
Vienna 36,4%
Roasted Wheat 18,2%

Probably better, taste wise. Better enzymic power too...

I have a week left in fermentation ,then my Kentucky Common is going in a pin for a July 4 party. You can't find this style on tap much,Foxtown in Mequon put one out. I use corn grits in a cereal mash. BCM drinkers enjoy this style.

Looked it up and it´s actually quite close to what I´m planning to brew!

Munich malt 72,2%
Roasted wheat malt 18,2%

BU/GU 0,35

ABV 5,3%

Thanks!
About the recipe, is it sweet at the end? I would probably go with more IBU, bur for my taste, sounds like an interesting beer.
About the style, do you need to have one? If its for this partner, cant you just call it an "arthouse beer" or something like that, that would help to sell this idea of an exclusive beer, and its cool!

About the recipe, is it sweet at the end? I would probably go with more IBU, bur for my taste, sounds like an interesting beer.
About the style, do you need to have one? If its for this partner, cant you just call it an "arthouse beer" or something like that, that would help to sell this idea of an exclusive beer, and its cool!

So, thing is, they want it a little sweet. Their clientel (arthouse cinema) is predominantly women of 40+. Appearantly sweeter beers do well there.

So it's been a while. How did it turn out? I'm brewing today with a new recipe that's Munich heavy. Munich, golden wheat, and a pinch of crystal 80.

Back