Recipes only with Pale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atakanokan

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am trying to brew my first all grain batch and was looking for recipes with only pale malt but couldn't find any. If you know one, please tell me so that I can start brewing.

Thanks.

Even if you don't want to or have the facilities to lager, you could make a Pilsner or Helles type beer. It doesn't have to be perfectly "true to style" to be a great beer. Use maybe 8 to 10 pounds of two row, depending on what you are looking for OG wise and hop the wort appropriately. You can find plenty of recipes of both styles to get hop ideas. If you can lager, go for it, if not use a clean ale yeast like SO5

You can use a single malt, and that's fine, but keep in mind that it could be a bit dull in the end.

As an analogy, think about cooking. You can make spaghetti sauce with just 100% tomato sauce. It won't be bad, but if you add some spices it will be more like spaghetti sauce.

Specialty grains are the same way. In some beers, 100% pale malt might be ok, depending on how you hop them and which yeast you use. But using even one kind of specialty grain can give you more options. (The "spice" in the spaghetti sauce analogy).

If you want to only use just plain pale malt, that's fine. But you won't need a "recipe", and you'd use just the pale malt. For hopping, what kind of hops do you have?

Thanks for the answers. I have Saaz and Brewers Gold hops available. Any suggestions for hopping procedure?

Thanks for the answers. I have Saaz and Brewers Gold hops available. Any suggestions for hopping procedure?

You can make a very nice beer with those hops.

I'd suggest toasting a pound of the grain in the oven, until it's lightly browned/toasted. If you put dry grain in the oven at 350, stirring every 10 minutes, in about 15 minutes you'd have some toasted grain. That would really help give some depth to the flavor of your beer.

Something like this:
9 pounds pale malt
1 pound toasted malt
.75 ounce brewers gold 60 minutes
.5 oz saaz 15 minutes
.5 oz saaz 5 minutes

BoPils; the greatest SMaSH beer ever. :) Moravian pilsner malt (or any Pils malt) and Saaz hops. If you can lager, even better. If not, use a clean ale yeast (us-05/1056, wy 1007, etc.) at cool-ish temps (low 60's, high 50's).

I did a 10gal batch yesterday:
20lbs 2 row
3oz Cascade 90,15, & flame out
pitched Muntons dry active yeast.

Pitched at about 7:30 pm, and it was bubbling away when I got up at about 7:00am this morning.

Not sure how it's gonna end but I'm waiting.

Oh ya, OG was 1.040

IIRC the sample from the hydro tube was good.

pb --- waiting is the hardest part

you can make a good beer with just pale malt. I think Fireman's #4 is just Pale malt and Crystal hops with an english ale yeast

Back