Recipe suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@RoyalGallon

Reaction score
So I have a friend who is a maltster and he came to visit this weekend - well actually we went for our annual Oktoberfest expedition in Munich.

He nows I've just started to get back into brewing and so was kind enough to acquire some malt from his site and give it to me.

So I am now the happy owner of
25kg Maris Otter
25kg Malted Rye
25kg Light Crystal malt

What would people be thinking about brewing if they came into ownership of these?
fullsizeoutput_58f4.jpeg

So I have a friend who is a maltster and he came to visit this weekend - well actually we went for our annual Oktoberfest expedition in Munich.

He nows I've just started to get back into brewing and so was kind enough to acquire some malt from his site and give it to me.

So I am now the happy owner of
25kg Maris Otter
25kg Malted Rye
25kg Light Crystal malt

What would people be thinking about brewing if they came into ownership of these?View attachment 589760
I'm not sure what hope you have available but I would be looking to make a rye ipa. I pulled this screenshot from the American Homebrewers Association site. It may give you a good baseline to start from!
Screenshot_20180925-101247.jpeg

Thanks for these.
I guess a Rye IPA was the obvious answer. Just realised the malt isn't milled so that's chucked a spanner in the works!

Need to stock up on plenty of hops and be generous with the Crystal!

A rye barley wine!!!!! 75% M/O, 15% rye, 10 % light crystal. Target 10% or so.

Bitter with Galena to 60 IBU
Finish with First Gold (@ 2 min left in boil) to 75 IBU

A rye barley wine is interesting - I’ve only ever had Rye in IPAs, and I think they’ve always been too hoppy / bitter. Would much rather have the grains shine through.

Use crystal for best bitter.
I have plan to brew extremely light rye pale ale - very low OG and ABV, great beer after basketball practice.

A rye barley wine is interesting - I’ve only ever had Rye in IPAs, and I think they’ve always been too hoppy / bitter. Would much rather have the grains shine through.
A barley wine has a high FG. That works very well with rye. The sweetness adds a nice dimension to a rye.

Edit: also allows hops to add dimension and flavor without dominating.

Last edited:
be generous with the Crystal!

Nooooo.....

Is the crystal out of date? Looks like a May 18 BB date? No worries if it is, heck it's free, but just trying to work it out.

I'd be looking to trade the rye and most of the crystal for more useful stuff like yeast and hops....

Rye does seem to work particularly nicely with Goldings FWIW, but you don't want to much of it. I'm not sure if I'm just super-sensitive to rye but I'm not a big fan of it in large amounts.

Or you make whiskey....

Nooooo.....

Is the crystal out of date? Looks like a May 18 BB date? No worries if it is, heck it's free, but just trying to work it out.

I'd be looking to trade the rye and most of the crystal for more useful stuff like yeast and hops....

Rye does seem to work particularly nicely with Goldings FWIW, but you don't want to much of it. I'm not sure if I'm just super-sensitive to rye but I'm not a big fan of it in large amounts.

Or you make whiskey....

Ah Good spot on the date - I’ll have to have a go at him for that. I’m pretty sure they put an arbitrary year on products - will be fine if it stays dry and doesn’t get infested.

I’m being generous with another Brewer I know - get some swapping done!

I’m being generous with another Brewer I know - get some swapping done!

Good plan!
Crystal rarely exceeds 10% of your grain bill. Even if the date is fine now, it would not be realistically in the future.
It would be great if you can barter for some other grains with other brewers.
Trade that massive amount of crystal to put to good use!

Latest posts

Back