Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m brewing, or trying to brew, an IPA. The recipe says, for the hop addition, “Steep/Whirlpool 20 minutes”. Do I add this for the last 20 minutes of the boil or do I add this at the end and steep it for an additional 20 minutes?

I’m brewing, or trying to brew, an IPA. The recipe says, for the hop addition, “Steep/Whirlpool 20 minutes”. Do I add this for the last 20 minutes of the boil or do I add this at the end and steep it for an additional 20 minutes?
Thanks for the replies. Now, do I maintain the boil for the additional 20 minutes or turn the heat off and let temperature decay?

Thanks for the replies. Now, do I maintain the boil for the additional 20 minutes or turn the heat off and let temperature decay?
Whirlpool occurs post boil. Did they state what temp to steep at? Typical temps are between 185*f and 160*f

Heating off, you can add after that. The idea is that you’re minimizing isomerization and IBU addition while maximizing the aroma of the hops from the actual oils. I’m sure there will be temp decay but I doubt it’ll be significant since you’re going for aroma and not IBU’s. The higher the temp you’ll get just a little bitterness but in terms of repeatability I would just add the second I turn off the heat.

Would it be better to chill at flame out, or let the hops just sit? Would it make any difference? That's my real question?

Would it be better to chill at flame out, or let the hops just sit? Would it make any difference? That's my real question?
Depends on what you're looking to get out of the hops. If you hold your hops say 40 minutes at 200-211*f thats practically like turning your flameout additions in to boil addition because you will gain similar bitterness and lose much of the aroma and flavor compounds. Now lets say you cool your wort to 175-165*f and then throw in the hops and hold them for 40 minutes. You will still pick up some bitterness though it will be minimal in comparison, however the lower temperature will not volitize your aroma and flavor compounds which will result in more flavorful/aroma filled beer.

Depends on what you're looking to get out of the hops. If you hold your hops say 40 minutes at 200-211*f thats practically like turning your flameout additions in to boil addition because you will gain similar bitterness and lose much of the aroma and flavor compounds. Now lets say you cool your wort to 175-165*f and then throw in the hops and hold them for 40 minutes. You will still pick up some bitterness though it will be minimal in comparison, however the lower temperature will not volitize your aroma and flavor compounds which will result in more flavorful/aroma filled beer.
I asked because I just did some late addions on a brew today, and added them (Citra, Cascade, Simcoe) with about 5 mins to go. I flamed out and chilled, and got down to 70 degrees in about 10 minutes. My ground water is freezing.

Other question I had is this. How we supposed to aerate an IPA to get ready for yeast? Read that O2 is not good for these hop additions. Hmmph, if its not one thing, its another. :)

I asked because I just did some late addions on a brew today, and added them (Citra, Cascade, Simcoe) with about 5 mins to go. I flamed out and chilled, and got down to 70 degrees in about 10 minutes. My ground water is freezing.

To maximize the aroma compounds extracted, add your hops at the desired temp and stop chilling for some amount of time, then resume. This is sometimes called a hop stand.

Back