Recipe Ingredient Factoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrussell

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this is discussed in another area here. I have searched but not yet found anything.

My question is in regard to ingredient factoring. I have a recipe I'd like to try and it is set up for 6 gallons. My current equipment however limits me to 5 gallons. Is it correct for me to assume that I can reduce all ingredient quantities by 1/6 to get a recipe that will yield 5 gallons of wort/beer?

This sounds correct to me (as it would work with cooking or baking recipes) but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something.

Thanks

That is correct. There are some screwy things that happen with hop utilization in really large batches, but on the homebrew scale things scale linearly.

Ok, thanks. This recipe is actually for a "big hops" beer recipe, but still a relatively low quantity...

Ok, thanks. This recipe is actually for a "big hops" beer recipe, but still a relatively low quantity...

Feel free to post the recipe if you want a second opinion. If you want lots of hop aromatics you are better off erring on the side of overdoing it.

Back