Recipe ideas???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have some extras laying around again. I am not versed enough to make my own recipes yet so any ideas on this stuff? I have to go to the brew shop to grind and buy yeast and hops.... so if I need to add something that's fine.

18lbs pale 2 row malt

8 oz dextrine

6 oz roasted black barley

8 oz chocolate malt

8 oz flaked oats.

I think I'd like some type of a stout.

add 0.5-1lb of C60 (or higher) and I think your looking pretty good on the grain bill

OK....been playing around on beer calculus using the entire 18 pounds....takes a lot of hops to overcome that sweetness huh.

well when you consider that you need at least around 24L just for the mash, its really not that bad due to the diluted wort

... nevermind, i forgot about grain absorption

edit: I was originally meaning that with a normal mash ratio of 1.3, you were gunna have so much water in there that your starting OG wouldn't be that high that you could still get good hop utilization at the start, but i spaced on accounting for grain absorption

ok here is what I am contemplating for later
9 lbs 2 row
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz dextrine
8 oz flaked oats
3 oz roasted barley

Mash at 150-155 degrees for 60 minutes with 1.25 quarts water per pound of grain

Sparge with 170 degree water for 10 minutes ( I may have to sparge in two sessions due to volume issues with my pots UNLESS I can drain into a sanitized bucket then pour the wort into the boil pot. That frees up my boil pot to heat sparge water in)

.5 oz centenniel @60 mins
.5 oz centenniel @ 15 minutes
.5 oz fuggles @ 5 mins
.5 oz fuggles @ 1 minute

YEAST = no idea yet but probably nottingham.

Ok how bad does this look? I have NO IDEA what I am doing except trying to use what I have available here...I know eventually I will learn WHY to add different ingredients.

technically, its not dark enough to be a stout, but it looks like a good porter. if you really want a stout, id just add the rest of those leftovers you had (besides the 2-row) unless you were saving them for something else.

technically, its not dark enough to be a stout, but it looks like a good porter. if you really want a stout, id just add the rest of those leftovers you had (besides the 2-row) unless you were saving them for something else.

ok thanks 10

Back