Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
So I'm going to have a go at a recipe and would like some thoughts on what I have here. I'm not to worried about the style being exact but feel this is closest to english pale. Any help would be great as I am still new to making recipes and havnt had much luck with my own recipes. Here's the recipe

For 40L with 60% efficency
Est Sg 1.049 Est fg 1.011 37 Ibu

76.2% maris otter 8 kg

14.3% wheat. 1.5kg

9.5% caramunich 1. 1 kg

Hops are

38g brewers gold 7.7% first wort with 60 min boil

26g cascade 7.1% 20 min

26g mt hood 5.7% 20 min

26g cascade 7.1% 1 min

26g mt hood 5.7% 1min

26g cascade dry hop 5 days

Ferment with nottingham ale yeast at 62F

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is nothing wrong with this recipe as is. However, my first thought is to get rid of the wheat. I don't think it really does anything for you in this style except add some head retention and make your beer a little more cloudy. I would switch it out for either just more Maris Otter or some Vienna or light Munich.

My other thought is you might want to ferment a little warmer than 62.

I was looking at my percentages and thought that it was a lot of wheat. Perhaps I will try subbing for more maris otter. How bout the hop schedule. Do you think the hops will work fine

So I'm going to have a go at a recipe and would like some thoughts on what I have here. I'm not to worried about the style being exact but feel this is closest to english pale. Any help would be great as I am still new to making recipes and havnt had much luck with my own recipes. Here's the recipe

For 40L with 60% efficency

76.2% maris otter 8 kg

14.3% wheat. 1.5kg

9.5% caramunich 1. 1 kg

Hops are

38g brewers gold 7.7% first wort with 60 min boil

26g cascade 7.1% 20 min

26g mt hood 5.7% 20 min

26g cascade 7.1% 1 min

26g mt hood 5.7% 1min

Ferment with nottingham ale yeast at 62F

Agree with the general consensus that the wheat is a bit too large a percentage, as is the crystal. If you want to use both I'd dial them back to about 5% each. The hop schedule and the variety seem a little too complicated for me. The best bitters are simple in their construction IMO and while I'm not a fan of American hops in a UK beer they are very popular at the moment. Hey, they're imported! Also as has been mentioned 62F is a bit on the cool side for a british ale/yeast. 65-68F would be more like it.

.....Also as has been mentioned 62F is a bit on the cool side for a british ale/yeast. 65-68F would be more like it.
I completely agree with this. I have used notty many times at 66 and I think that is the real sweet spot. I also agree with the hop schedule. Don't forget to report back after you try it.

Thanks for the help I think I'll take the wheat and caramunich back to about the 5% maybe even remove the wheat completely.

I am feeling that the hop schedule is a bit muddled but it is just what I had on hand and I thought with the amounts it's not going to be a real hop forward beer. if there are any thoughts on a different hop schedule I am all for getting something else from the homebrew store.

As for the yeast I have used the nottingham at 62 before and then slowly raised to about 68 after a couple of days at 62 and I didn't taste any flaws and was a very clean ferment. And was still finished in about 4 days. But I think I'll give the 65 or so a go as I've only used it a couple of times and if others are saying higher I think it's worth a try.

Cheers
Josh

So I'm just finalizing my recipe for tomorrow's brew day this is what I have after everyone's input. Be good to hear what you think

60% efficency

90% maris otter 9 kg

5% wheat. .5kg

5% caramunich 1. .5kg

Hops are

38g brewers gold 7.7% 60 min boil 22ibu

50g cascade 7.1% 20 min 9ibu

50g cascade 7.1% 1min 5ibu

Ferment with nottingham ale yeast at 65F