Recipe help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knuckleball

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am expecting a housefull for Thanksgiving, and all I have on hand is a bunch of big beers that will make the old people's eyes bug out. I would like to make a good session beer for the crowd out of the ingredients I already have on hand, to wit:

4# Belgian 2-row (my bag sez pilsner, but I'm pretty sure it's 2-row)
.5# Munich 20l
.5# Munich 9L
.5# Special B
.5# Wheat malt

All of the above grains are milled and in a single ziplock bag (milled 2 weeks ago). I also have a 3# bag of Extra Light DME.

As well as the following hops:

Perle 1 oz
Tettnang .5 oz
Vanguard .5 oz
Fuggles .5 oz
Cluster 1 oz

And, the following yeasts:

S-04
US-05
T-58
Notty

I am thinking of a malty ale. Any ideas, suggestions, or words of warning?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not the most knowledgeable person here by far but I would say you should start brewing right now if you want it ready by thanksgivings day. If it doesn't come out in time I would suggest buying a local Pumpkin Ale, I served it with a dessert last year and it worked great.

Thanks BrewRI (that was quick!). I should have noted the need for a quick turnaround. I am planning to keg & force carb, so that should help. I usually let my beers age for a while, but necessity (i.e. out of beer) has "forced" me to turn a batch or two around this quickly, and they have been great for the most part.

Really simple ales, like such as milds, have a good fast turnaround. Orfy's Mild Mannered ales is quite good. As far as what you have. . . unfortunately I just started all grain so I am not too familiar with what you could do with that, but perhaps you can plugin you ingredients into some brewing software and see what you come up with? For a fast turnaround I think you are aiming for no more than three malts, something lower that 1.040 OG.

Well, I just noticed that I also have 3.3# of Bavarian Wheat LME too.

Please, help me concoct something out of this. An octoberfest ale maybe?

Back