Recipe Help want to make a chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
I have made the recipe below and I like it. What I would like to do now is take this recipe and make a chocolate coffee stout. For the Coffee part I'm going to cold brew some coffee and add it to the secondary or at bottling time. I don't really want to use chocolate in the recipe, I would rather just use grains to get the chocolate flavor. The original recipe has a hint of chocolate in it but I would like more to come thru.

My first question is how much coffee to use?

second question is how much more chocolate malt should I use?

Ó Flannagáin Standard
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 C. DME 1 Pint Water 36 hours
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 17.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 29 Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 Week 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 Weeks 64

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

mash @ 156/157 for 60 min

NOTES: Absolutely delcious. The new house stout around here. It is smooth, creamy, malty and a nice hit of chocolate. The Roasted is barely noticable through the intense cream. The aroma is powerful and malty. Perfect bitterness. This beer is great!

You could try using 1lb of chocolate malt. I personally don't like to go higher than that.

As for the coffee, it's a tough answer. How much coffee flavor are you looking for? A little bit of coffee goes a LONG way. If you're wanting to taste the chocolate malt and not add additional chocolates, then I'd stick with a very low amount of coffee, maybe 1cup of cold steeped coffee.

I used 1.75oz of freshly ground beans in a breakfast stout that had 12oz. of bakers chocolate in it. I can BARELY taste the chocolate in the recipe because of the overpowering coffee. It's delicious, but I was looking for more chocolate.

when i did a chocolate coffee stout, i used 16shots of Starbucks espresso. it sounds like a lot, but i liked the strong aroma it gave teh beer, but i didnt have an overwhelming coffee taste. I put it in a secondary for a month or so before bottle conditioning another 4 weeks.

its was a big beer, about 10%

i have never added chocolate to a beer, you can play around with choc malt to get the flavor you want. I would probably go 1#

Latest posts

Back