recipe help, grainbill screwed up, brewing today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Methose

Reaction score
I typically brew a Strawberry blonde ale with the following bill:
6.5lb LME Golden Light
12 oz Caramel 10L
8 oz Carafoam
1 oz Glacier @ 60
1 oz Glacier @ 30
1 pkg US-05

I'm actually doing a 15 gal batch, 3x5 gallon batches actually, for a wedding -with plans to brew it today.
I replaced LME with DME and carafoam with carapils due to availability. The real mix up comes in that I just ordered a lb of each 10L and carapils, to make it easy. But they put all the grains (crushed) in the same bag, for all three batches.
So I have a single bag with 3 lbs Carpils, and 3 lbs Caramel 10L.

What should I do?
just split the bag in 1/3rds and go with that?
The recipe would be:
6 lbs DME Pilsen
1 lb Caramel 10L
1 lb Carapils
1 oz Glacier @60
1 oz Glacier @30
1 pkg US-05

By the way, the strawberry comes from racking onto 8 lbs whole strawberries for 6 days in secondary, after roughly 2 weeks primary.

Thanks for the help!

I'd brew one large batch and split it going into the fermenter 3ways if you wanted three batches.

Sent from somewhere to someone
He may not have the equipment to do a fifteen-gallon batch.... I don't. My brew kettle is only eight gallons.

I don't see a problem with splitting the crushed grain into thirds; just make sure it's well-mixed first.

First, why would you up the total Crystal/Carapils from 20oz (12+8) to 32oz (16+16)? That alone is a bigger difference than the error in the grain mixture.

If you want to make something as close to your original as possible with the 1:1 mixed grains, keep the amount of total Crystal/Carapils roughly the same, so use 20oz of the mixed grains. It maybe a tad dryer with a tad more mouthfeel. It maybe imperceptible.

FIXED: On the other hand, the difference between 8oz or 12oz of Carapils is not going to make a huge difference. So if you were to use 24oz (12+12) of the mixed grains instead of 20oz, it may have slightly higher unfermentables content (dextrine), but you're also changing from LME to DME so you may lose a little residual sweetness there. I find DME ferments out a little dryer than LME.

Before you measure out, first make sure to really mix up those grains well.

Now 6# of DME will give you more gravity than 6.5# of LME. Is that intentional too?
1 pound of LME = 0.8 pound of DME
1 pound of DME = 1.2 pound of LME

I'd brew one large batch and split it going into the fermenter 3ways if you wanted three batches.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I don't have the capacity to do that, I can only brew 5 gallon batches

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

First, why would you up the total crystal/Carafoam from 20oz (12+8) to 32oz (16+16)?

If you want to make something as close to your original as possible with the 1:1 mixed grains, keep the amount of total Crystal/Carapils roughly the same, so use 20oz of the mixed grains. It maybe a tad dryer with a tad more mouthfeel. It maybe imperceptible.

FIXED: On the other hand, the difference between 8oz or 12oz of Carapils is not going to make a huge difference. So if you were to use 24oz (12+12) of the mixed grains instead of 20oz, it may have slightly higher unfermentables content (dextrine), but you're also changing from LME to DME so you may lose a little residual sweetness there. I find DME ferments out a little dryer than LME.

Before you measure out, first make sure to really mix up those grains well.

Now 6# of DME will give you more gravity than 6.5# of LME. Is that intentional too?
1 pound of LME = 0.8 pound of DME
1 pound of DME = 1.2 pound of LME

It was not intentional but I was aware . They came in three pound bags so 2 bags per batch was as close as I could get to the original recipe without weighing out DME (yuck).
So how much of the mix would you think? Given DME change and all

It was not intentional but I was aware . They came in three pound bags so 2 bags per batch was as close as I could get to the original recipe without weighing out DME (yuck).
So how much of the mix would you think? Given DME change and all

Given you have about 10% more gravity in the 6# of DME, I'd use 24oz + 10% = 26oz of the mix. Crystal stays the same, plus it adds a touch more Dextrin, good for mouthfeel.

Don't boil all the DME from the start, only about 1/3 or 1/2. Add the balance at flameout, and stir without splashing until all is well dissolved.

Given you have about 10% more gravity in the 6# of DME, I'd use 24oz + 10% = 26oz of the mix. Crystal stays the same, plus it adds a touch more Dextrin, good for mouthfeel.

Don't boil all the DME from the start, only about 1/3 or 1/2. Add the balance at flameout, and stir without splashing until all is well dissolved.

I appreciate the reply, that sounds like a plan, 26oz of the mix, well mixed up in the plastic bag.

I typically brew AG, but am switching back to extract for the ease and time saving of brewing 3 batches at once. I'll typically add 1/2 extract at first and 1/2 at 15, when brewing extract, even though I'm doing a full boil.
thx again!

Crap, just looked at the bags, and it's Pilsen Light, rather than Golden Light
:mad:

Any idea how big a difference that makes, and what -if anything in accordance to the specialty grains?

Mix it up in a large bowl with a large spoon.

I understand the attraction to the ease of extract brewing, when I make large starters I'm 1/4 way there, but for the quality, versatility, and control of the process, I find it hard not to do AG. Extract is almost too easy. That's not to say you can't make excellent beer with extract, your Fruit Blonde is a very suitable style.

I always did full boils and mostly partial mashes for a long time, mainly to get the different grains in my beer. I found it too limiting, and with another hour investment AG made more sense.

Crap, just looked at the bags, and it's Pilsen Light, rather than Golden Light
:mad:

Any idea how big a difference that makes, and what -if anything in accordance to the specialty grains?

Very little difference. Pilsen is a teeny lighter. Good for a Blonde. No adjustments needed.

Whoever filled your order needs to get a message.

Back