Recipe Help - Gluten-free IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithr2

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been brewing for a little over a year now, but I'm new to the site and I'm definitely new to gluten-free brewing. A ton of my family has celiac, however, so I'm planning on making a batch for them this summer and I was hoping to get some opinions on a recipe. I know the flavors in some of the gluten-free malt substitutions can be a little strange, so I was aiming to make a hop-forward beer where the malt could hide behind some complex hop flavors. Here's my recipe - the hop bill is adapted from a nice IIPA I made recently:

5 gallons:
3.15lbs sorghum extract (liquid)
2lbs D-45 candi syrup
2lbs rice syrup solids
1lb honey
8oz malodextrin
Hops:
2oz columbus @60min
dry hop with 3oz citra, 2oz galaxy, 2oz mosaic
Yeast: safale s-05

How does this look? I'd be pretty confident about making this type of beer with traditional malt but I could see myself messing up royally with gluten-free ingredients.

If you want to be truly hop forward in flavor you'll need a good amount of late addition. I would do at least an ounce each of citra, galaxy, and mosiac spread at 5 min, 0 min, and whirlpool. You'll have to cut back your 60 min columbus to keep the ibu that same. The dry hop will be great like you have it.

Good luck with it and please let us know how it turns out.

I'd consider equal parts sorghum and rice syrup and 1 lb candi syrup. I find that more balanced. The adjust hops for desired bitterness. Also add sorghum in last 5-10 min of boil.

That much candi syrup and honey may make it pretty dry for an ipa. Not sure how much nonfermentable sugar is left by sorghum. I've been using millet as my base, and it's no 2-row. Can't handle 50% sugar adjuncts and give the body I want. Can't wait to hear your results.

Back